Tube preamp reliability vs SS?

I am considering buying a Conrad Johnson classic 2se pre or a used McCormack LD-2 preamp. 

I have never used a tube pre, and am curious as to the reliability of the tube, I like to be able to turn it on, maybe wait 30 min for warm up before jamming tunes.  This is fine, my concern is the reliability of the tube, how long will it last?, also, is it a pain to change when it goes bad? Can I change myself, or must I send to factory just for this small tube? 

• Would the the action of me putting in the new tube void any warranty, not that 3 years is long anyway  when it comes to warranties. 
128x128arcticdeth
Still considering the Conrad Johnson classic 2 SE. 

I THINK THERE IS ONLY 1 Small tube in it????  Help me if I'm wrong. 

Would this his be ok for rock/metal, or would bass be too slushy with this preamp? 

Will be buying ing the nad 546 CD player. And some Grover Huffman cables for my amp to preamp connections, and possibly a pair for my cd to preamp connection, depends how good Santa is this year
Not sure what to expect with the classic 2SE, I'm not one to. Have a lot of cash, so if I dump 2k+ into this pre, and I don't lIke the tube being a pian in the butt, I will be so depressed , as I won't have any cash left for anything. 
Why do you think the tube would be a pain in the ass? There have been many members commenting on the reliability of tubes and the wonderful sonics.
The only effort on your part is finding the brand of tube which sounds best to you, since you'll eventually want to replace the stock tube with a better one. And tube rolling is fun; dealers and forum members can advise you.

But don't rush into this purchase for these reasons:
I don't see any output impedance specs listed for the Classic 2SE, can you find them?
Plus, Almarg has already alerted you to the high gain of 22 or 27 dB, 9.5 VRMS. You may have to use attenuators to have full range of the volume control.
Please list the input specs of your amp and the sensitivity of your speakers.

Don't make the common mistake of mis-matching components.

As others have said, Tube Pre's tend to go forever, before tubes need replacing. Once you have heard tubes in the Pre or Power amp, there is no going back, as far as I am concerned. It is tempting fate to say this, but I have never had a problem with a Power amp tube going and that has been very infrequently. I have heard they can take out capacitors when they go, never with me. Replacing a tube could'nt be easier to do. To check which tube has gone, simply switch one tube at a time to the other channel, till the problem appears in the other channel and you have your culprit.

I have had a number of Tube Pre amps and I agree with Lowrider, that CJ make some of the best, the 17LS I had for a number of years was one of my favourite components. Unfortunately I need XLR outputs into my ARC Ref 75SE and CJ do'nt do balanced outputs, so I bought a Modwright 36.5 as an ex dem model and it is excellent, as good as the Arc Ref 3, in my opinion and a lot cheaper.

With the type of music you have mentioned in posts here and at Audiocircle i would skip the tube gear and focus on solid state . But of course your curiosity should be tested with tubes as well .