Mcintosh MC402, Krell FPB 600 or Passlabs x250.5

Hi guys, need some advice on the above power amp option.

I'm currently using a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica II. It was placed in bedroom and only driven by Krell 400xi.

Now the setup has been moved to living hall and I'm getting a pre-power amp to drive the Olympica II as the krell 400xi obviously doesn't have enough juice. I've tried it with krell 400xi in living hall and the bass extension is just not there, even though I do like the soundstage, smooth mid / high that the 400xi is able to produce with the olympica.

Recently I came across a used Mcintosh C40, and it was always in my wishlist to one day try the mcintosh gear. I bought the C40 and now looking for a power amp to pair with it. Naturally, it would make sense to match Mac Pre with a Mac power, but I would like to open up for more option.

I know each of those three are distinct in their power rating, but I don't always listen at loud level. I listen to all genre of music, but probably spend more time on vocal songs.

Does anyone have experience pairing them with Sonus Faber with great result? In fact all of them cost about the same (I found used unit in my local dealer). Or there's other candidate that I should consider also?

Thanks!
nicholas_1213
Hi CT0517,

Yup my sofa is about 7-8 feet away from the speaker, behind my sofa is actually the dining area and open kitchen area. Compared to the previous setup using krell 400xi, the speakers are not bass shy anymore. The bass now goes deep and tight (not as fast/accurate as the krell), and the sound is much fuller. Instrument separation is at another whole level, and the soundstage is wide and you can feel the 'depth'.

I find that the larger area actually provides more space for the speaker to sing (note that I did not so any sort of room treatment, but just let it sings freely in my living room). Overall im really happy with the MC402 pairing up with the olympica II.

I also did some trial between the 4ohm vs 8ohm output from the mc402, and i like the 8ohm more (olympicaII is rated at 4ohm). I find the sound from 8ohm is more dynamic and accurate, while the 4ohm is slightly better at midrange (smoother & sweeter)..

Once again thanks everyone who contributed their feedback!

Nicholas, Did you know that McIntosh was responsible for the amplification at WOODSTOCK (now if the sound was bad, all those people would have left...lol ). You made the right choice. McIntosh makes some of the best amplifiers on the planet, in all respects ie...Beauty and quickness of sound, reliability, ruggedness, and build quality with stunning looks. The reason you like the MAC is that at high volume levels it dosent drive you out of the room! All the while still providing the emotion and presence of the musical event. Fatigue is a non factor when listening. These are hallmarks of McIntosh amplifiers, and they have only improved their design over the last 60 years in business. McIntosh makes a lot of products, but their amplifiers (2 channel) tubed and solid state are what the companys foundation is built on. Great choice!

Matt M                                    

Nicholas,

Congrats on your purchases!  I've lusted after McIntosh equipment for decades.  This year I moved my music audio system down from our 13x24 living room, to our 24x26 "man cave", as I became smitten with a pair of larger, floor standing speakers.  I found a C50/MC452 combination for sale on Audiogon and drove a few hundred miles one Saturday to retrieve the pair from the seller.  When I am really cranking it, the needles on the MC452 dance around 4.5 watts.  I really like the smooth, musical sound of the McIntosh equipment, I have found slight amounts of fatigue listening to other brands.

Enjoy your purchases!