How important are speaker cables to the sound emanating from the speakers?

Hello. I was just wondering what your opinion is about the importance of speaker cables to the sound coming out of the speakers, and, of course, the sound the system altogether produces? Also, what are your favorite speaker cables to use in your system?
warmglowingtubesart
For any naysayers who think that speaker cabling does not have a profound effect on the sound quality of a system, I would recommend trying different brands in ones own system.

I have found speaker cabling offers a huge increase in quality of sound. If you ever have a chance to listen to Klee Acoustics speaker cabling,please do so...you will be astonished by the overall improvement to your listening experience. Highly-recommended.

I think that Studioray has it right. Check this out http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

That's a great link dsper. I haven't been to Roger's website in years and had forgotten about it.

I especially like this tidbit: "When there is an audible difference in speaker wire due to wire capacitance, it can be interpreted as an improvement when one wire appears to have more clarity but is actually altering the sound and departing from accuracy. "

John Dunlavy was another very credible manufacturer in the high end who also felt the same way. And I've read the same from dozens more over the years. Here's one Dunlavy link: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/28-tweaks-do-yourself/36910-cable-nonsense-john-dunlavy.html

Whether one chooses to believe what these guys say or not, you owe it to yourself to try some blind listening tests. The placebo effect is stronger than anyone wants to believe (check out the Dunlavy link), including myself sometimes, and I have witnessed it firsthand in other listeners literally thousands of times over the years.
I don't look to professional studio personnel and technicians to know how to set up a fine home audio system. I advise not to listen to them.
I have to assume that you meant me Mr. Schroeder. What a ridiculous statement! I guess that you haven't noticed that most of us here on Audiogon don't try to disparage other members' opinions, we just respectfully state what we believe for ourselves, but without suggesting that anyone else not be listened to.

What bad form.

You have no idea of who I am or what my capabilities are. If Alan Parsons said something ignorant, that means that all music producers can't be trusted with home audio? Give me a break. Some can, some can't.

Most well-known producers aren't famous because of their audiophile chops - they may have none - it's because of the performances they inspire or from the aural effect that they create, the records themselves may sound terrible from an audiophile perspective. Think Phil Spector.

But some producers are first rate audiophiles - otherwise you would not have any audiophile recordings. Because creating an audiophile recording is never by accident - it is really, really hard to do. That's why there are so few of them. And yes, these audiophile producers can wax eloquently about home audio.

Oh and by the way, "a fine home audio system" is ridiculously easier to set up than a competent recording studio system.

studioray, I ask that you not take my directive personally. I have for some time now eschewed the advice of those who prompt the acceptance of blind testing and the conclusion of cables being of insignificant/marginal importance to the sound quality in comparison to components and speakers themselves. I find this to be common in pro sound. 

Perhaps I read your intent wrong, but there are a fair number of people who enter discussions on efficacy of cables and direct attention to blind testing promoting a conclusion which precludes cables as an efficacious means of improving home systems. Most of us here are familiar with blind testing, so you didn't really add much to the discussion. Perhaps if you were to discuss your experiences and conclusions rather than try to stir things up to foment argument I would have reacted differently. 

I have had many contacts within the audiophile industry with persons on the pro side, and read a fair bit on ABX. I also had the pleasure of conducting some blind testing for myself when I reviewed the ABX Comparator from Audio by Van Alstine. That settled the matter for me; I was able to consistently identify cables in blind testing. In fact, cables were easier to identify than amps! So, since that time I have little patience for the entire "blind testing shows there's no difference in sound," thing. 

So, my conclusions and advice has little to do with you, per se. You simply gave me the opportunity state my perspective. I should add that I do not turn away from listening to those on the pro side entirely. I have had many wonderful discussions with people in the industry who work both the home and pro side of audio. They are a wealth of information, and as you say some of them have been marvelous to interact with. So, my first statement was too strong; I should have limited it to cables. 

However, I also see an influence from the pro side that prompts audiophiles to think that quite inexpensive amps, DACs, etc. are as good or better for building home audio systems. I have not spent as much time on that issue, so I won't comment now. Perhaps as time permits I will do as I have on other topics such as "Burn In" and conduct comparisons to reach more firm conclusions.  

Anyway, there's enough room under the audio tent for divergent opinions. Of course there may be some producers and engineers who excel in home audio, but I aver that if they have dismissed cabling as a critical element of a system they do injustice to the task.  If their conclusion is that any cable will do, imo they should be avoided. There are all manner of discussions and admonitions here about reviewers, dealers, manufacturers and individuals. Pro audio is not exempt. 

Now, one last note; I have no interest whatsoever to debate the merits of blind testing or cables. I have shared my experiences and people can read it for themselves. They can also read my many articles at Dagogo.com on reviewed cables, which include technical discussion from the designers, some of whom are engineers. I allow the cable manufacturers to explain why they made their design choices. Obviously, every cable company� thinks they have the solution, but collectively there is a wealth of information on what influences cables' sound, and how it relates to setting up home systems.