Reel to Reel uses -

My wife and I love to entertain.  It never ceases to surprise me how many will walk over to my stereo and stare at my Reel to Reel tape deck.  Some under the age of 35, will ask what it is? Others want to know why I have it, and what do I use it for?  Of course I answer their questions, but now it makes we wonder how others use their machines?  I have been following a couple of high end blogs that I really enjoy and see that one gentlemen uses his machine to play master tape copies.  I do this as well, but have no where near the selection that he does.  I make copies of my favorite LP's to play when guests are over, and also make my own master tapes using a couple of neuman's microphones.  I record small jazz trios and solo artists straight to the machine.  People are amazed at how 'real' these tapes sound.  My main reel to reel is a Pioneer RT-1050 high speed half track.  I have a second just like it that I use for the above mentioned site recordings.  I also have a ReVox B-77, a Sony TC-765, and a Crown 822, all half track machines.  Anyone out there making your own masters?

Norman
normansizemore
To hard drive - sure- but also dub to another new reel. It will last for decades if handled properly. I have 25 years old cassettes, no or almost no sound deterioration.
I was thinking about getting Otari within a few years, but perhaps I should also consider the Pioneer.
Inna,
I used to own an Otari MX 5050.  Excellent machine! What was especially nice was that though it was a full half track record and play it also featured a fourth quarter track playback head, which is usefull for many commercially available tapes.  Extremely well built, and very flexible.  I wanted the IEC/CCIR eq, and the series one MX 5050 was set up for NAB.  Series two and three 5050's have both.
You wouldnt ever be disappointed with e Otari. They still build these new, and parts are plentyfull.
A Pioneer RT1050 can often be found for very little money and were built for hard use.  It would be hard to find a similar quality machine for the same investment.

Norman
Jnovak,
Time to look for another Sony!  The 880 is a really nice machine.  The big Sony's have a wonderful sound.  I would be happy with an 880-2!  So many fine machines to choose from, and so much fun to use and listen too.

Norman
Inna,
I too have cassettes and reel to reel tapes that I made in the seventies which still sound superb. Use good tape and handle properly, they will out last us.

N