Best integrated amps under $9k

I am building a new house and I will be having a large great room ( 25x28).  I love music and and I love to hear all the different instruments clearly.  I don't need a heavy bass.  I am also not going to be playing music at real loud levels.   I like wide dispersion speakers.  I have been looking at integrated amps from Krell, Classe, Pass, Macintosh, ATI.  Any advice?  Sound quality is really important to me.   Whatever I buy will last a lifetime.  The reason I am thinking about integrated is that I like the idea of AMP/Pre-Amp in one box.  Any input is appreciated.  

willgolf
I've owned Totem Forests in a prior system and I know both their strengths and also their not-subtle warts . 

In brief, if you are actually plunking down up to ~$9000 on an integrated amp, the FORESTs or HAWKS are a significant step down from that choice of speaker worthy of that resolution in that class of amp.

You can do much better by choosing a myriad of alternative speakers in that same price level class as the amp, that will be worthy of the amp in performance. And that difference will not be subtle .

System synergy matters .... Big time .... Full stop.

I just posted this in a different thread but it bears repeating:

http://www.exemplaraudio.com/integrated.html

At $5500 it's well below your $9k ceiling, but it's as good as it gets with respect to sound quality.  I've been buying John's stuff for years and it's always blown me away.  I had his eXception II pre 10 years ago and it was the heart of my system. I brought it to all my friends' systems to show off what it could do in their listening rooms. Upgrading to his current one was such a change, I risk sounding like ad copy trying to describe it.

The integrated is exactly like the pre-amp I have now, except it also has a 50wpc output stage.

With your room size and volume requirements, that should be plenty unless your speakers are unusually inefficient.

Paul Wakeen of Stillpoints just had one of these commissioned for his personal system, so it's fair to say it's a piece of reference equipment even though it's squarely in the 4-figure price point.

If you're in the SF Bay Area, you're welcome to stop by and hear what his gear sounds like.
From that maker's website:
" We believe that an integrated amplifier when done correctly will outperform best separates available.."
This is big BS. And they know it. I will not buy anything from him for one dollar.
Inna,

The funny thing is I went to his website and he doesn't even carry a power amplifier.