Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
Probably a better deal: here

Sold as a 2.0 but there's reason to believe it's a 2.5.

How many of these are out there languishing on shelves?
Big news ET 2’rs. Remember this?  

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1366738930.jpg

The "joint" affectionately called the Gooseneck here. It will soon be available for the ET 2.0, 2.5 tonearm as a match up with both Carbon Fiber and Magnesium armtubes. 

The really big news. The ET2 base that holds up the entire Et2 tonearm is ready now in Aluminum.

Please contact Bruce directly if interested.

IMO this would not have been possible without the increasing interest in the ET 2.0, 2.5. Air Bearing Tonearm.

Some background
When I was speaking with Bruce in late October and posted the last ET 2 Yellow Sticky

******* YELLOW STICKY ET 2 THREAD - FACTORY SETTING OF PSI - REGULAR AND HIGH PRESSURE MANIFOLDS ************

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/eminent-technology-et-2-tonearm-owners?page=30

(See the October 31 post on the linked page. This new format no longer allows one to link posts, just pages )  

He did mention his plans for this; but wanted me to hold off until the first parts were ready.  

Very happy to pass this news to you all.
thanks for the head's up, ct0517. Mine is on its way. I've been wanting to replace mine ever since I bought my arm (used) a few years back. Alas, Bruce had no more to sell. So, this is a most welcome development.

The decision to use aluminum hopefully solves a problem I've had with using my et2: every time I adjust vta, the arm goes out of level and needs to be reset. I conjecture that the cause is the lack of rigidity at the contact point between the base and the two levelng screws. This holds especially for arms that have had their base abused by owners who overtighten the leveling screws and leave indentations in the base. 
Banquo363
I conjecture that the cause is the lack of rigidity at the contact point between the base and the two levelng screws. This holds especially for arms that have had their base abused by owners who overtighten the leveling screws and leave indentations in the base.
Yes
from my experience
The ET2 has three, well four areas that are sensitive to setup abuse by new owners, and those who are not aware of how it works.

The one you mention with the base and indentations from the vertical bolts from not being aware of how hard one has screwed those vertical screws down.
All leveling should be done after bringing them both up to reset. They should never have to touched again after that. if they do, the base is warped from abuse and/or there is a good possibility a users turntable is going out of level. check there first. Anyway the aluminum base fixes this problem so is welcome.

Very excessive force on the Post bolts and VTA block screws being over tightened and even closed.

I ask what kind of madman causes something like this to happen ?

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1415022707.jpg

The VTA block rack of teeth have been stripped by using it when the block was shut closed, and the VTA block case itself destroyed but excessive force on the bolts. .

A third being tightening the end cap I Beam cap bolt too tight could cause it to crack at the opening . I did this once years ago.

A fourth extreme is the gooseneck. Maybe tightened too tight and left on for years. A user when going to remove the armtube, puts incorrect torque in the wrong place and could snap off the cueing lever.

Here is a picture of Bruce’ new ET 2.0, 2.5  Aluminum Mounting Plate.

https://goo.gl/photos/YMrLEFY46Rno5cs6A

There is also a picture of it on my Audiogon system link. unfortunately the new Audiogon format does not allow me to link to it in posts - yet.  

Mine is on its way. 

Cheers