PS Audio PWT - cd transport

Category: Digital

When I first saw a picture of the PS Audio PWT transport I did not think too kindly of it, as it appeared to be formed plastic but with reading the PS Audio website info on it, it made good electronic sense to me.

Reading the disc via a ‘read till right’ program – in other words, it does not automatically implement ‘error code correction’ (ecc) programming when misreading a disc, instead it reads and rereads the disc up to 100 times (not utilizing the drive cache) before resorting to ecc. Once this data is extracted from the disc it is sent to RAM memory where it is stored for a brief period. This middle storage point separates the disc from the transport’s output, thereby allowing for rereading till right data (explained above) and eliminates timing errors (by reclocking the data from this point forward, instead of using the clocked data stream directly read from the disc). This memory buffer does not manipulate or change the disc data at all – it’s still what was on the disc, only now more accurate in content and more accurate in timing. This is the data output.

Anyway, after being explained this info by Paul McGowan and Ryan Conway, I was intrigued enough to buy one. First off, I can say that I pleasantly surprised and happy to report that the transport is not made of plastic, its either aluminum or steel, and it is heavy and well damped. But, the remote is made of plastic and is pretty cheap feeling – oh well. There is no buttons on the unit, all input is either via remote or via a touch screen on the unit. The touch screen is a nice touch (couldn’t resist;) – it allows for operation but also displays disc title and song name with album cover art (if the unit is connected to your internet).

But enough with the side show stuff – what does it sound like? House keeping first - I have about 348 hours on it now, it sets ontop of Symposium Rollerblocks,, I’m using a Grover Huffman Sc AES/EBU digital line to my custom Audio Note DAC, and I’m using an Grover Huffman Sx power cable. The rest of my system consists of Atma-Sphere MP-3 pre and MA-1 amps and Quad 988 esl’s. This consists of the base line and comparisions are made against a Accustic Arts Drive 1 mk1 transport.

Now then;

Most obvious is a total lack of digititis – no etching, no “over emphasized” sharp edges, no glare. Instead, you get a VERY organic sound, but mind you, it’s not bloated, softened, or rounded – the best description is ‘natural’. Significantly more liquid than the Accustic Arts.

A dramatic increase in soundstage and dimensionality. Instruments are spread out with plenty of air and space around them. Open air, breath. Whole stage depth presented. Much more extension in my sound stage width, now uncannily extends beyond the sidewalls.

Articulate and detailed, but again no etch or glare. Fast. Slam. Tight. Rhythmic. We have moved beyond toe-tappin’ and have entered the butt shakin’ realm. Very lively. No fatigue.

All is well extended in both directions, bottom to top. Nothing is bloated or sharp. – sonically very clear and focused. Micro and macro detail is really expressed nicely. But, the noise floor is bit higher than the Accustic Arts – not a totally “black” background. Lastly, on very busy passages, I detect a bit of grain – only on pieces very busy with treble (concurrent multi cymbals, highhat, triangles, +).

Putting it all together - Horns, bongos, vibes are holographic / 3 dimensional. Brass horns are “brassy” but not bright or shrill, instead mellow and sexy. Cymbals are crisp and have realistic brassy lingering overtones. Toms and snare are stout. Strings are beautiful and radiate mellow woodtones. While bass is deep and distinguishingly tonefull. Woodwinds are richfully hollow and resonate, Voices are lively, relaxed, and human. Again, my notes continuously go back to “organic” and “natural”. Very ‘smile on your face’!!!

Overall, I find myself really amazed. The PS Audio is literally 1/3rd the price of my Accustic Arts but is truly much more musical. Personally, I think it’s power supply could be cleaner but this does not distract from the organic sounds elicited – actually reminds me of good analogue. The PS Audio is without a doubt a giant-killer for its price-point and I feel I can recommend it without hesitance.

I am wonderfully happy with how well it has synergized and complimented my custom Audio Note DAC. Lastly, I should note, the PS Audio has read every disc I have placed in it without a single stoppage -- can't say that with Phillip's drive based transports.
128x128grateful
There really is nothing else out there like the PWT, and for that reason, it is an end point for CD playback for me. However, until you have heard playback from it via the I2S interface, that keeps the three clocking signals separate and discreet, you will not fully appreciate what this transport is capable of. But only PS Audio or Wyred4Sound currently offer DACs that are compatible with this connectivity. Compared to any other (Tos, UB etc, that combined the clocks and then re-separate them at the DAC) the improvment is profound. The staging alone is so much higher, wider and deeper with I2S.
I have been very pleased with my PWT too and it destroyed all of my regular throwaway dvd players. But there's MSB, BMC, and others and I'd be very curious how they compare.
Several of you stated that you wondered if there was a better transport than the PWT... Well, I have not heard the top Esoteric, or the MBL, or several of the other 10K + transports. I can say that my PWT replaced a Accustic Arts Drive 1, which the PWT totally destroyed the Accustic Arts. I too have thought about other ultra-high end transports but as Stevecham stated; there is nothing else out there that does what the PWT does... meaning that, only the new MSB and the Memoryplayer spins the disc, saves a bit to RAM, and then plays from RAM. I believe this is what makes the most significant difference. Now there is probably room for improvement... probably in parts quality (i.e. Black Gate caps, and so forth) or maybe not... I notice that when I opened mine up, seems like the power supply was rather whimpy but maybe since it's not doing anything but running digital extraction it does not matter... don't know. I can say this though, I have had increasing problems with the PWT not wanting to eject a CD - been getting worse and worse over the last year or so, recently becoming very frustrating. Thus, I decided to replace the DVD drive within it. After contacting PS Audio support and speaking about several techical aspects I decided to NOT go with a replacement Sampsung DVD drive (from PS Audio), instead I got a Lite On DVD drive for it. Why??? Supposedly, in the computer world, the Lite On is a better drive and offered several things like SMART-X which varies the drive speed to optimize data extraction, ABS mechanism to reduce vibration & noise while high speed rotating, and a belt driven drawer control with cast metal parts (the Sampsung was plastic parts) - sounded good to me... So that's what I bought and for half the price of what PS Audio wanted the Samsung for. The Lite On works perfectly. When I installed the new drive I also added Dynamat thick dampening material to the drive top and bottom, along with some cable shielding. The result is stellar - music is more articulate in the micro dynamics with blacker backgrounds and the drive ejects the CD without issue... Not night and day differences, minute but still noticeable -- I couldn't be more pleased. So maybe there is some room for improvement. BTW replacing the drive was as easy as turning a few screws and plugging 2 wires.