Review: VH Audio Flavor 4 Power cord

Category: Cables

My original goal was to try to purchase 2 cords for my Thor monos. My original choices to consider were Virtual Dynamics,Ridge Street Audio and Silent Source. After window shopping for a bit I realized I couldn't afford 2 cords of the companies mentioned so, my choice was to forget it or try something more affordable to me. My system sounded great but I seem to get this uncontrolable urge evey once in awhile to upgrade,so I decided to investigate more affordable options.
After reading many reviews I decided to try VH Audio.I asked Chris ( owner ) about which "Flavor" would be my best option and he mentioned the Flavor4.
My music listening amounts to mostly piano jazz,female jazz singers and some other various jazz stuff.
Right off the cords aounded very out of sinc and dark.
After aprox. 10 hours things changed big time. Much better detail and very nice mids but still a little dull. At about 30 hours the difference is amaizing.
Depth is incredible.Detail is a better but ,has an uncanny level definition.Every sound is crystal clear and sharply defined with still has great weight and pace.
The words and instuments seem to just float forever. I am currently at about 40 hours and improving all the time. I was told 200-300 hours and it may take me 6 months to get there but wanted to let every one no what a bargian the cords are. I will do a follow up at a latter date when I no for sure they are all broken in....

Associated gear
Kharma 1.0 spkrs- Thor Audio TPA Monos-T1000 linestage-Meridian 508-24 cd-
wires Ridge Street Poeima i/cs and sp.cables

Similar products
Discover cords - stock cords-
thorman
Chrisvh, Thanks for responding, and sharing your considerable personal experience with the rest of us.
This sort of Audiogon interaction allows many to learn, especially when chances to meet in person are so rare.
That's a good point Chris. Bob likes to use the Schurter's, which may be why he wants to solder rather than crimp.

As to soldering vs crimping, i think that a lot of this has to do with how good of a connection that one can make with a crimp and the actual contact area of the crimp. The poorer the connection and the less contact area, the more that the connection will benefit from soldering. Even then, how good this works will be up to how well one can solder and the type and quantity of solder used. For ease of use and fantastic "flowability", Wonder Solder is my suggestion to those that want to try this. Those that are more experienced with soldering may want to try something like Cardas or WBT solder. Sean
>
I agree Sean. Wonder flows like a dream, although I prefer WBT for silver/silver or copper/silver connections... Much harder to work with, though...
I couldn't agree more about the price relative to quality and performance question. These cords are without a doubt a most excellent bargain. I'm sure there are those with bugeted money for $1000+ ac cords that at least have a need to find out what all the hype is about and so will spend it. To leave VH Audio cords out of any attempt to find system synergy just because they do not cost enough would, in my opinion be a serious omission. I feel confident in saying these power ac's deserve an audition in anyones system.....just make sure you burn them in, (as with any cord). If you want to spend more take a serious look at VH Audio's brand new cost no object Air Sine power cord.
I've been using a Flavor 4 Gold for about 6-8 weeks now on my amp with great results. It easily betters the mid-priced Kimber, Cardas and PS Audio power cords I have tried. The bass improved slightly in the key areas of definition/extension/weight while sounding quicker. On acoustic material and vocals there is more texture and air to the sound. More importantly I think is that nothing about this cord degrades the sound in any way.

The level of performance and quality of construction you get with this PC is outstanding.