Review: Michael Wolff Source and Gain Cords Power cord

Category: Cables

As you will become quickly aware, I was not an English major. And, I do not often try to articulate my what I hear. However, I have had such a good experience with Michael Wolff's Source and Gain cords that I wanted to share it.

Michael's use of Carbon fascinated me. So, I emailed him to try his Source cords. I should have realized that if a manufacturer offers his product for a trial without charge, the he must be very confident that most will buy it.
He shipped them the same day and set my expectations that they would take a couple of weeks to sound their best. After about 3 1/2 weeks, I was listening one evening and thought to myself that I had deliciously good power. Everything sounded great. The noise floor was low, the music was dynamic, strings and vocals were tonally beautiful. The soudstage had an ambiance all its own. The next evening I still had the great sound. I thought our utility had upgraded some equipment or fixed a problem. So, I packed the Wolff cords up and was ready to ship them back. The next evening I discovered the nothing had changed with my power. It was the Source Cords. I went through a bunch of power cords that I had on hand from a Shunyata Diamondback to a BMI Whale Statement Supreme and none of them gave me the same good sound. So, I bought the two Source Cords.

Michael offered to send me two Gain Cords for mt VAC 70/70. I really didn't want to spend another $1,400 but I thought I would check them out for future reference. I bought them too. Now I have a Gain Cord on my First Sound Preamp - another trial. Interestingly enough, this last cord has made a much larger inprovement than I thought it would. It only has about 30 hours on it. Last night I was listening to the 3rd track on Diana Krall's new CD, Temptation. The piano playing at at the left of the soundstage sounded strong and alive. It used to be rather faint. My soundstage usually recedes form the front of the speakers. Now is is just there - to the front, to the sides, and behind. I don't perceive the front plane anymore. It is really cool.

I would usually have thought that a couple of thousand dollars would best be spent on equipment. However, the Wolff cords that I have now made as much of an improvement in my system as did moving from my old Sony 5 disk DVD changer as a transport to my Accustic Arts Drive I. By the way, Michael is a very nice guy and easy to work with.

Associated gear
Click to view my Virtual System
brooksl
My experience mirrors yours exactly. I tried to get by with just a Source cord on my CD but ended up with a full complement of Source and Gain cords. My system has never sounded so good. I have tried many brands of ICs and PCs trying to get a sound that was not harsh or fatiguing througe my WATT/PUPPY combo, but the Wolff cords have done the trick. I have gained depth, etchless detail and imaging,
and lost the desire to look further. They are still improving after a month of use, I hope you have the latest version of the Source cord. Michael knows what he is doing with the free trial periods, he just lets the cords weave their spell on you. Try them at your own risk.
RPW, I do not have the latest Source Cord. Michael said I should be gettin it soon. Is there something in particular that you thought improved with the latest version? Also, are you using a Gain or a Source cord on your preamp? Thanks.
Brooksl, I am using Source cords on my pre and CD, Gain cords on my mono amps. Four cords total. The only non carbon cord I use is on my Kinergetics subwoofer amp, an ATI 1502.
With the limited frequency I don't think the cost is justified for the sub amp. I tried every possible combination without a carbon cord trying to save a few bucks, but eventually had to have all carbon cords. The difference in this version Source cord versus the original in my system is tighter bass, more depth, more detailed high end without any grit or grain but still having bite when called for as in brass and percussion.
I also think the Pure Note Cerulean IC's and speaker cables contribute to the overall musicality of my system. They are a new addition for the past four months. I got the Wolff cords a few months later. One thing I haven't tried was a Gain cord on a source component, but I don't think that would be an advantage over the new Source cords.