Review: TRL, Inc. GT-200 Tube amp

Category: Amplifiers

I really need to tell the of the transformation of my system. I recently bought new amplifiers. The Tube Research Labs GT200 monoblocks. A triode tube design by Paul Weitzel. About 4 months ago I recieved the Dude preamp by TRL. It was specially made to be fully balanced. My reaction to the sound was so pleasurable and positive that it got me to thinking what will the TRL amps do for the music. I had to decide if I was willing to give up my Krell 650 mono blocks. The speed of the Krells and the extension both on top and bottom were hard to beat. Still I took a chance on the GT200's. A friend warned me that the base on tubes could not and would not match that of solid state especially Krell FPB650 monos. I must say I was not prepared for what I was about to experience. My description no matter how clever, will not come close to describe what these amps can do. They just made the Krells sound broken. That statement is hard for me to say because I dearly loved the Krells. The GT200s beat the solid state monos in EVERY way. And by no small margin! Many questions ran through my head. First of all how do they do it? Second why has no one built amps like this before? I was so taken back that I just could not believe it. I just heard music, plain and simple. Only it is not that simple. I now realized that I have been cheated all these years as a music lover. As good as I thought my systems were they were (pardon the grammer) pure crap! Let me tell you this is absolutely the most fun and passion I have experienced in all my years as an audiophile. Magic, pure magic that is what it is. If cost were no object these are the amps I would own. I am done looking! I have found what I consider to be the Holy Grail of amplification for me and my sound cave. In the last 3 months I have bought more and more music and I must say the only downfall of these amps is you can't buy enough music. You will listen to every thing you have and then some. Classical, jazz, rock, vocals it does not matter. These amps are killer.Power,speed,air,grace,depth,width, go ahead throw all the standard stereophile standbys at me. All I can tell you is they just don't do it justice. Do whatever you have to but take a listen to these things. I dare you! I double dog dare ya!

Associated gear
Tube Research Labs Dude preamp.
Accustic Arts Drive1 Mark2 transport
Accustic Arts Dac1 Mark4 DAC
JM Labs Focal Utopia Loudspeakers
Synergistic Research Powercell 10SE
TRL interconnects and speaker wire.
16 primitive diffusors
Synergistic Research MIG's

Similar products
Nothing
128x128booboobaer
Pretty cool to be able to say you have surpassed the likes of a Krell. I'll have to drive down and have a listen sometime. Seems like an abundance of TRL owners have flocked in to make comments. Now if we could just convert some more folks into going down the TRL path! And yes, Paul is a gem.
Hello doug . What can I say ? I told you so. I think most audiophiles have lost why they became such in the first place. It is first about the music. So many of the audio community are into looks, gear etc , Hey we all have been in that situation. I owned a complete tube research system 7 years ago when i lived in georgia. When i moved to south florida I sold my system to open an audio store. Over the years I have owned the krell 650m monos cary, conrad premiere 8 monos, Audio research vt130se, vtl 450s jadis ja 200 and 500 monos. I concur with you doug everything sounds broken compared to tube research.I compared my little 100 watt prototype to the mighty krell 650 monos and could not believe my ears. The krells may have had a little more juice but the baby tube research killed the krells even on movies. Bottom line if you love music tube research is the best of the best.
I too would like to meet Paul and listen to his amp's. His amp's seem to be the Alchemy of tube power.
I too would like to meet Paul and listen to his amp's. His amp's seem to be the Alchemy of tube power.