Father's Office, Los Angeles
Hodad's, San Diego
In-N-Out, Baldwin Park
TK Burger, Costa Mesa
Jalama Beach Grill, Santa Barbara

How do you roll?
bongofury
All of a sudden there are a couple more on my (local to Phoenix) radar:
Smashburger (I ate at the one on 20th and Camelback)
Blu Burger Grill (101 and Northern)
Blu Burger being the better of the two. Better than most, really. They have Angus, Kobe and Bison to choose from. Lots of variation possibilities. I liked it better than Cheeburger Cheeburger by a wide margin.
Smashburger is recommended too; but not as enthusiatically as Blu.
Cheeburger Cheeburger is another burnt burger joint, yuck! Really good onion rings though.
OK, I was in LA for the weekend to attend the 67th anniversary of the Atwater Village Lion's Club Breakfast (pedestrian at best; but I get to see a lot of folks I grew up with), and I took the opportunity to try Oinkster in Eagle Rock. It was featured on Diners Drive-ins and Dives, so I showed up with more than slightly elevated expectations, and the joint did not disappoint.
The Oinkster pastrami is clearly the must-try item; but the pulled pork is also quite good. The pastrami sandwich is thick with meat (he cures it himself), and topped with red cabbage slaw, caramelized onions and Gruyère cheese.
I've been staying away from fries lately, trying to lower my carb intake; but this guy makes his own ketchup (!!!), so I ordered some. He calls them "Belgian" fries, and uses a combination of beef shortening and rice oil to cook them in. He makes two kinds of ketchup, and they are both stunning: regular, and chipotle.
I went back again on my way out of town and had a burger, as a fat black gentleman had suggested I try one while we were standing in the (very) long line on my first trip. It was great. More carmelized onions, some pastrami, sharp cheddar and avocado... This GREAT dressing. They called this one "The Royale" (Don't ask. I didn't go to Burger King).
They have rotisserie chicken that I have yet to try. It looks good.
I had an Horchata milkshake on my first visit. Expensive at $4.50; but I would have it again. It was great.
Their website has all sorts of info, including a link to the D,D&D segment.
This place is fun. I'll be going back next LA trip for sure.
More to discover