Review: NAD C-320BEE Amplifier

Category: Amplifiers

The NAD 320BEE is used as the power source in my second system. It is a 2 channel system that is used for both music reproduction and home theater. The NAD 320BEE replaces a Harmon Kardon 3370 receiver (used as a preamp) and an Audiosource Amp 2 power amplifier. Replacement was necessary as the HK 3370 shorted out and went up in smoke. Previous to this set-up, a Denon 2801 home theater receiver was used. The NAD 320BEE was purchased at Harvey Electronics (NYC).

Music/Sound Reproduction:

Both male and female vocals were clear, deep, full, and warm sounding (Nanci Griffith, "Winter Marquee"; Raul Malo "Super Colossal, Smash Hits of the Mavericks"; Frank Sinatra, "Songs for Swinging Lovers"). Guitars and strings, in general, were crisp, distinct, and revealing (I heard guitar lines in Neil Diamond's "Shilo" for the first time in 30 years). Rock music sounded exciting and powerful (Rolling Stones remastered, "Let It Bleed"); compelling and inviting (Robert Plant, "Dreamland'); and alive, with well reproduced bass (Doves, "The Last Broadcast" and Metallica, "S&M"). Horns were clear and deep and had just the right edge to them (Clifford Brown, "With Strings"). On action/adventure DVD's (James Bond, "Tomorrow Never Dies"), explosions/gun-shots/crashes/helicopter roars were loud and in-the-room realistic sounding.

The NAD 320BEE plays loud. The NAD replaced previous units that were rated as having more power, but the NAD just sounds as if it has much more power. It drives my AR speakers (85 db sensitivity) with ease. In fact, the NAD really brings out the best in the AR's (very musical sounding, full range speakers capable of going down to 35 hz).

Product Features and Build

The unit appears to be solidly built and has good heft to it (it weighs in at just over 14 pounds). It has inputs for 7 sources (cd; video; disc; tuner; aux; tape1; tape2 ), as well as defeatable tone controls and NAD soft clipping. The unit is supplied with a remote control that can be used with other NAD products (CDP; tuner; etc). My only two quibbles with the general design (and they are minor) are: I would have preferred a "lighted" volume control (so, I can see the volume level in low light conditions) and a detachable power cord.

This is my first piece of NAD gear in 31 years of enjoying quality gear (I got started early ... when I was 14). I enjoy believing that if I pick quality equipment up front, I can spend my time listening to the music and not worry (so much, anyways) about the gear. So, my comments are usually about how the music sounds and not so much about soundstaging; etc. (if you have house cats, speakers are usually placed where the claws aren't). The NAD320BEE is a quality piece of equipment that makes the music sound very good.

Product Weakness: Not forgiving of poorly recorded music sources.
Product Strengths: Smooth non-fatiguing sound. Excels at music reproduction (vocals; strings; brass). Quality product build and full feature set.

Associated gear
Pioneer Elite PD-65 CD Player; SONY S560D DVD Player; Acoustic Research 302 Speakers Classic Series (85db sensitivity); IXOS GAMMA SILVER 1002 interconnects; Radio Shack Gold Series 16 gauge speaker cable
128x128rar1
I too would recommend this little gem to anyone interested in building a budding audiophile's system. This unit is truly a marvel in driving anything but the most difficult speaker load. I hope that the people at Harman Kardon or Rotel will sit up and take notes . . . then again, maybe not. They are probably too busy coming up with their new surround receivers.
I just recently aquired this "little gem" (boy is it ever) and I just love it. However, Rarl above says that one of its weaknesses is that it's not forgiving on poorly recorded sources. I don't think that's a
weakness. It tells me of it's neutrality, not adding or subtracting to mask the sound. What you feed it is what comes out. This amp is an absolute STEAL for its asking price.
Mosfetti:

Hi. When I wrote the review last December, I was recovering from spine fusion surgery and so, I was listening to my stereo about 12 or so hours a day. I was really enjoying how my system sounded with the NAD ... but, I was getting annoyed with how certain CDs were now sounding.

I tend to agree that "weakness" is not the best way of describing what would be considered a positive trait. If I were to say it differently, I would say that the NAD will bring out the best in a well recorded CD and will demonstrate that there are benefits to be gained from acquiring "audiophile quality" CD pressings.

In the past year, I have upgraded the speaker cables and interconnects to Signal Cable products. I have also added a tuner (TEAC T-1D). Otherwise, I am completely satisfied with the NAD and feel that it is an absolute superb piece of equipment .

Regards, Rich