Review: CM Labs 914 Amplifier

Category: Amplifiers

Long before Levinson,Krell,Threshold,and others there was CM Labs of Danbury,CT. This little high end company produced some of the most musical solid state power amps.The build quality is robust,and is a total mil-spec amp. The 914 is one of the first,if not the first of the high speed power amps. The power output is 125 Watts RMS into 8 ohms,with less than 0.1 percent THD,at any freqency from 20 to 20,000 Hz. 175 watts RMS into 4 ohm. IM Distortin less than o.1 percent up to rated power.Frequency response +- 0.1 dB from 20 to 20,000 Hz at full power.Damping factor better than 500 at 8 ohms!!Circuitry is fully differential,full complementary common-emitter output.Is built to MIL spec A8625C,Type 2.More important than all the above impressive specs,is the sound quality. This is without doubt one of the finest and most musical power amps I have owned. Clearly in the same league as Threshold,Levinson,and others in the high end spectrum.Seldom seen in for sale or auction. People that have then just dont get rid of them--Thats how good they really are in the real world of high end audio. But if you ever get a chance to acquire one,Grab it fast

Associated gear
Acoustat Speakers,HK T-60 TT,Threshold Preamp

Similar products
Bryston,Adcom,Van Alstine
ferrari
Hello: I have a schematic for the CM Labs 911 stereo amp. I will email it to you if you want it. I have a CM 911 and I have been using a pair of CM lab amps Model 80MRM for the past 29 years. I believe that the CM Lab amps are some of the best transistor amps that were ever produced. They were expensive when new but I would put them up to any other amp such as Mac Fisher etc. Dan
YES! I would love to get a schematic for it, btw, do you know of anyone reputable that works on CM labs gear? I also have a preamp, and a CM Labs 915, which strangely has an address on it for Alabama (?) . Feel free to email directly at [email protected] . thanks! Ed
I would also like a copy of the schematic for the CM Labs 911 amp, please. Would you have any other info on it; like how many watts per channel? (maybe an owner's manual?). I totally agree with you on the sound. I was amazed how good it sounds when I first listen to it. Thank you in advance for the info. Tony([email protected])
Is this one of the amplifiers that had cinch-jones connectors on the back for the Acoustron - Erath LWE speakers with "motional feedback" ?

I have a pair of LWE-1s I'm dying to hear hooked up to a compatible amplifier.
The amplifier that is pictured in this review has such rear panel connections, Some of the 914a and 914c have this connection as well. If you can find one of these amps then your set.