Review: CM Labs 914 Amplifier

Category: Amplifiers

Long before Levinson,Krell,Threshold,and others there was CM Labs of Danbury,CT. This little high end company produced some of the most musical solid state power amps.The build quality is robust,and is a total mil-spec amp. The 914 is one of the first,if not the first of the high speed power amps. The power output is 125 Watts RMS into 8 ohms,with less than 0.1 percent THD,at any freqency from 20 to 20,000 Hz. 175 watts RMS into 4 ohm. IM Distortin less than o.1 percent up to rated power.Frequency response +- 0.1 dB from 20 to 20,000 Hz at full power.Damping factor better than 500 at 8 ohms!!Circuitry is fully differential,full complementary common-emitter output.Is built to MIL spec A8625C,Type 2.More important than all the above impressive specs,is the sound quality. This is without doubt one of the finest and most musical power amps I have owned. Clearly in the same league as Threshold,Levinson,and others in the high end spectrum.Seldom seen in for sale or auction. People that have then just dont get rid of them--Thats how good they really are in the real world of high end audio. But if you ever get a chance to acquire one,Grab it fast

Associated gear
Acoustat Speakers,HK T-60 TT,Threshold Preamp

Similar products
Bryston,Adcom,Van Alstine
ferrari
i own a CM920 amplifier. It is 250 per channel 8 ohms and 400 per channel 4 ohms. I've had it since 1980 and it has operated flawlessly . It has a very smooth and refined sound especially considering its age. I will be keeping mine forever! I do believe i have some brochures on their various amps, preamps, and mixers.
The CM Labs 920 is very rare indeed. Have never seen an actual one, only a brochure on one. Most likely unless damaged will last till the sun goes out, like most of the CM Labs gear. Way overbuilt to a standard hardly found today.
I just came across a CM914 in the storage room where I work. They were going to throw it out. It doesn't seem to power up, but I want to get it fixed.

I'm confused, though. This one looks different than in the pictures, and is 300 watts per channel. It's got two dials on the front, and appears to be made for a P.A. rather than for a stereo. It also says Albany, NY instead of Danbury, CT.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what this is? I can't find any other info on it.
The only CM Labs I know of that had power meters was the 912. Dials on the front? Just not sure.

E mail me a pic and I will do some research. Does it actually say 914 on the amp. A very few of these were built for concert hall application, which you may have.
I posted these pics after happening across this forum. They should be of interest to all here:

http://www3.telus.net/roverpics/cm920front.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/roverpics/cm920rear.jpg