Review: Acoustic Revive RR-77 Tweak

Category: Accessories

I consider myself a relatively sane and skeptical audiophile when it comes to devices that offer a higher level of performance with magical explanations of how they work. Well, I had read on Six Moons website a very postive review regarding the Acoustic Revive RR-77 room conditioner, yes room conditioner, but took it with a big grain of salt. Then my good friend and fellow GON member Ted Brady in a conversation tells me that he has not lost his mind, but the damn device worked wonders in his high end system. So, what the heck, it costs $400.00 and I can get one from Music Direct with a 30 day home audition and send it back if it does not work.

It's a very small box that you put behind your speakers at the height of five feet off the ground. It is a type of wave generater that puts into the room a subsonic frequency that either effects how you hear the system in the room or somehow effects the acoustic of the room it self. For alot more information regarding the theory regarding how it works you can go to Six Moons website for alot more details.

Well, I have no real idea how it produces the effects it does, but the damn thing works magic in the following areas:

1)A greater liquidity and oozyness in my system without a loss of PRAT or macrodynamics.

2)More dense images with greater air around each player in the soundstage.

3)A deeper/wider soundstage.

4)Everything sounds more relaxed and natural.

My girlfriend, who is a musician, heard it instantly when she walked in and asked me what did I do this time regarding a new piece of gear. So, I have no rational explanation how it works, but boy does it work in a significant postive way. So, if I have not lost my mind, I recommend you try one in your room. What the heck, you get a 30 day trial from Music Direct. Highly recommended!

Associated gear
Click to view my Virtual System
teajay
Hello Teajay, i just bought one for my listening room (23 X 23).I received the unit last evening i did not have the time to make a serious listening. I was only able to put the RR- 77 in a corner at about 6 fts high.Heard great things about an upgrade with the KINGREX PSU ( Power supply) who i was told it double the efficiency of the RR-77.I read also that adding a Shakti stone or Gut Wire Notepad will increase the performance of this Tweak...
What i note at this moment is a change in the acoustic of the room in the sense of more reverb or a better transmission of the atmosphere (recreate more the room or the space where the music have been recorded ???)
Note that my system was already sounding very natural and relaxed...
More to follow later on !!!
The effects of the RR-77 can be enhanced greatly by a few of these methods

a) Locate it a height of 1.5m at least so that the Schumann pulse can be generated over a wider area of the room

b) If you only own one set (I know some users have used up to 8 sets in their room), then try to locate it to the front and in the centre of the speakers for better focussing
Setup with 4 sets in front
c) The wall-wart of the RR-77 can be changed to a better power supply, I first used a DIY in Thailand power supply and then later just a Kingrex PSU. The power supply is around 12 V DC.

d) If you use a better DC power supply, the DC power cord can be upgraded to a better one, I tried an Oyaide cord, and it did improve.

e) You can open up the RR-77 and stick an Acoustic Revive QR-8 quartz insulator near the LED lamp to make it more quiet (LED dimmers are always noisy). See below link to locate the QR-8 quartz which is the black dot on the top left.
6moons photo of RR-77 internals with QR-8

f) You can also stick a QR-8 on the input jack of the DC cord to enhance the effect too
Hotbird, when you stated that you can use more then "one set", I'm assuming you mean more then one individual Acoustic Revive RR-77 at the same time. Do I have that right? I read somewhere that if you use more then one at a time, they can pulse at different times and that negates the sonic benefits of the device. Please share more information regarding this if you know more details.
Sorry I have not heard personally the effect of having more than 1 RR-77 unit, so would not be able to tell you whether it negates the sonic benefits. What I heard from the local distributor is that for the people who bought more than 1 unit, their listening space is quite large, and they like to listen to classical music. For them, it seems that having more than 1 RR-77 helps to reinforce the projection of a bigger and deeper soundstage, and gives better inner/deeper/farther resolution to the classical music they like to listen to. Tbg (who signs off as Norm on Audio Asylum) has bought 2 units of RR-77 to try, so he may be able to tell you more if he's reading this thread. I don't have a big listening space, so I don't think I will need more than 1 RR-77 at this moment ;-). However, you must really try swopping the default wall-wart with a better 12V DC power supply like the Kingrex PSU, that I can vouch works very well indeed.
(Not sure why my post got deleted or never published?? I said nothing disparaging to anyone. Maybe it was the 6Moons link. Anyway....)

Teajay, now we are both whacko's, right? I knew you would like it, and it's funny that both of us were slack-jawed, only to have objective observers walk into the room and validate via a "what have you done to the room? It sounds great" comment. Very spooky stuff. I am now officially apologizing to anyone who I ever disparaged for an off-the-wall tweak he/she recommended. Both Room Lenses (although makes at least some acoustic sense as a hemholtz resonator) and now a Shumann Generator. And both, especially the RR-77, have a huge impact on the sonics, immediately and for all aspects of the sound.