Richard Gray's 400 Pro = Emperor's New Clothes??

Category: Accessories

I just purchased (for $800) a Richard Gray's Power Company 400 Pro. I was not in the market for an AC filter, but when I purchased a new system the dealer gave me a hard, hard sell, promising wonders. This is a reputable dealer, so I trusted him, and he gave me a week to try it out. After using the device for a week, and after ensuring the new system (all Rotel with a Rega TT) was broken in, I followed the manufacturer's instructions to demonstrate the effectiveness of the device (ie. plug the decide into a jack on the circuit and all other components into a power strip) then pulled the plug on the 400. Nothing. Despite trying a variety of source material, I could not hear ANY difference with the 400 in or out. I do not have a tin ear and have been able to discern differences with various interconnects, etc., but this device registered no change whatsoever. I'm returning it to the dealer today. Anyone else have a similar experience? Views?
robreuland
The tale of the Emperor's new clothes describes people who pretend to see (in this case hear) stuff that's really not there.

Well I just got a RGPC Pro yesterday and I can tell there is a difference as far as the soundstage, resolution go. I recently added a PS Audio Harvester and this was blinking continously but after the addition of the RGPC not a peep from the device.

As every system is different if the device works great if not don't blame the RGPC chances are its your system thats not up to mark.
As every system is different if the device works great if not don't blame the RGPC chances are its your system that’s not up to mark.
Athipaul

Or, some systems do not have electrical problems where the "band aid" of power conditioning is an improvement.

It would take two pages for me to list all that I did to get my electrical right. Lets just say that the stereo alone has 14 dedicated runs with preferential grounding and a 750 amp (Commercial property) Trans Socket meter from the local power company.

Seem ridiculous? Well, my electrical cost about $3800.00 to get it right, about the price of two aftermarket ultra high quality AC cords.

Lots of ways to get the power supply right, I believe it's best at the source.

I have no use for conditioners which compress dynamics, slur high frequencies and alter the phase of the music. If you have problems of operating off a terrible local electrical grid, live in an apartment or high rise where everyone in the building is beating on your stereo, then yes, maybe conditioning is preferable to having none.
Albert:
Your power solution is obviously vastly superior to mine, and I feel pretty foolish having recommended a Furman Reference to you. It represents a big improvement over the 2 (not 14) naked dedicated lines in my system, with my electricity, but I should have known better than to think our overall audio environments or level of experience have anything remotely in common. : )
Newmanoc, my comment was not aimed at your suggestion of the Furman, that comment by you was a general opinion and I welcome those. I would indeed try the Furman if I had the opportunity.

What caused me to respond was the statement "don't blame the RGPC-it's your system that’s not up to mark."

I wanted it clear that some of us have worked very hard on our systems and power supplies and (so far) power conditioners have proven worse rather than better. I print this comment fairly often at Audiogon because I think most of the high end systems here would benefit greatly from a super dedicated electrical system like I've done.

The price is certainly right, I did mine for about $3800.00 and many members have more than that already invested in conditioning that may not be needed if everything else was right.
AlbertPorter have you tried an RGPC? Does it indeed compress dynamics, slur high frequencies and alter the phase of the music as you suggest? A look at all the companies that use the RGPC technology as well as their list of customers would suggest otherwise.

My statement "don't blame the RGPC-it's your system that’s not up to mark." was only to say the the RGPC would only make a good system better and not to expect miracles from a $800 band-aid as you put it.