Your three favorite audio dealerships?

Can be brick & mortar or mail order. Those that provided consistently good service thta maje you want to do return bsuiness with. Let's keep it positive.

Mine are:
B&M
San Francisco Stereo - SF store
Future Sound - Burlingame, CA
Bradford Stereo - Eugene, OR
M/O
Todd the Vinyl Junkie
Music Direct
Acoustic Sound
stevecham
New York (in no particular order):

1. Sound By Singer. One of the most famous high-end dealerships due in part to its many ads in the magazines. I've heard many comments both good and bad. One thing I don't like about it is that even though they are located at street level with an inviting window display, the listening rooms seem to be off limits to the casual browser. You can't even peek through a window in a door. (There is a sign by the passageway to the listening rooms that says, in effect, none may pass without a salesman). Many years ago I auditioned some Vandersteen speakers there, and I thought the salesman polite but curt.

2. Innovative Audio/Video. A somewhat limited selection of brands, despite several nicely set-up rooms, but it is the place to go in NYC for Wilson speakers and Spectral electronics. I thought they were pretty tolerant to browsing, and even if the "big-rig" room with the Wilson Alexandria is locked, you can still see it because of the the glass doors. I bought my Linn Majik CD player here, and the salesman was quite nice, and we listened to the big Alexandria.

3. Park Avenue Audio. A few high-end offerings like KEF and Dali speakers, and Cary electronics, but still has the feel of a Harvey Electronics, you know, a place that is way above a Best Buy or Circuit City, yet is slightly more corporate in feel than other high-end stores. No complaints though, they seemed nice enough. One of the few (only?) places left in NYC that displays used gear for sale in the window. I purchased a demo Esoteric DV-50s that was in said window.

4. Rhapsody Music and Cinema. The owner was very welcoming when I dropped in a few years ago, but it is now an appointment-only store. The place to go for Goldmund, and they do have an assortment of exotic stuff that you won't find many places. You will deal with the owner instead of a salesman. He treated me well even though I wasn't a big-buck spender, and actually came to my apartment to check the set-up, even though I had only bought one component from him, and it wasn't speakers. (I did live close by.)

5. In Living Stereo. Now this store has the homey feel of a place owned by enthusiasts. Their friendly dogs were in the store the couple of times I was there, giving it that homey feel. Besides a few "usual suspects" of high end gear, they also carry some exotic tube gear and speakers. I have purchased some cables there.

6. Ears Nova. Never been there, they encourage appointments. The place to go for Harbeth, Marten, E.A.R, and a few other brands not carried elsewhere in NYC.

7. Harvey Electronics. Harvey is more of an everyman's high-end store, where the salesman wear ties. But I like it, and bought my Krell Resolution 3 speakers there. They have filed for bankruptcy a couple of times, and are down to two stores I think.

8. Lyric Hi-Fi. The granddaddy of NYC high-end stores, unbelievably I've never been there. The place to go for Magnepan, Audio Research, and they recently took on mbl. They seem to really be pushing Hansen speakers right now.

9. High Water Sound. Never been there, but judging from their website they specialize in exotic brands, horn speakers and tube amps.

10. Stereo Exchange. Many like myself remember this place fondly because back in the day they had a magnificent collection of used gear on display for sale. I still remember a pair of enormous, used Audio Research amps they had for sale. But they seem to have gotten out of the used gear business, other than the usual demos and trade-ins. Stereo Exchange, like Sound By Singer, seems to be hit-or-miss, that is, people either swear they had a great experience, or swear that they'll never step foot in the place again. I had a good experience with a friendly salesman "the audio elf." In fact, he even exhausted me with his willingness to audition and compare products. Stereo Exchange has a nice number of listening rooms.

So my favorite? I really don't have one. Unless the store is really snobby/bullying, I'll audition stuff and chose based on the brand I like rather than the store that is carrying it. I'll spread my $$$ around.

For anyone in the LA area, it has to be:

1. Optimal Enchantment with Randy Cooley (appointments preferred)

Audio Research, Vandersteen +...

2. Brooks Berdan with Brooks Berdan

Wilson +...

and

3. Upscale Audio with Kevin Deal (appointment only)

Prima Luna, Tubes +...