What would be a good turntable/tonearm/cartridge

What would be a good turntable/tonearm/cartridge combination for someone new to the world of analog, having been a long-time CD spinner? I have a nice high-end CJ tube based stereo CD system, and I am looking for something that is easy to set up and maintain. Thanks. -Steve
warmglowingtubesart
If you have a high-end system steer clear of entry level turntables, you will get nothing but disappointment. But you don't have to buy expensive cartridge right away.
Yes, every turntable requires careful set-up, but maintaining it doesn't have to be difficult. In fact, it's minimal work.
Larry likes Nottingham turntables and MC cartridges.
WG - as indicated was possible in the post by zd542...

I have "pimped out" my 30+ year old $200 Rega Planar II to the point where the only original Rega parts left is the on/off switch and the plexiglass cover

The following are the mod's in approximate chronological order

1. I preferred the Michell Techno weight to the standard rega weight - it lowers the centre of gravity of the weight which improved dynamic and bass performance.

2. I preferred an acrylic platter over the Glass Platter - it does not ring so much and you can avoid using a mat, which I found improved dynamic performance and clarity.

3. lower end Rega's use a plastic sub-platter (i.e. the part the glass platter sits on). I prefer an alloy sub-platter, especially for the acrylic platter, since I found it enhanced the overall clarity

3. I found having the arm wiring replaced with a one piece silver litz cable enhanced details considerably over the stock rega wiring - which improved details, clarity, imaging and bass perofrmance - this was my first arm modification.

4. I replaced the plinth - there are several options available, but being "handy" I made my own and found it improved the overall performance considerably.

5. I ended up replacing the entire arm with an Audiomods Series 3 arm, which is a far superior adaption of the rega arm - and comes with the litz wiring mentioned above standard and micrometer VTA adjustment (if desired). The only thing this arm has in common with the Rega arms is - the arm tube and even that has been re-engineered. Superb value!

6. I replaced the steel ball in the bearing with a ceramic ball - reduced rumble to "near-zero"

7. Rega Motor Upgrade - it reduced speed variations

The approximate cost of all of that > $2k

I would recommend getting a TT that has...
- a removable cover, otherwise it can resonate
- comes with spiked feet - or
- exceptional isolation feet - the rega feet are quite poor

The nice thing about this approach - I got to implement enhancements over time as the budget became available and as my knowledge evolved.

Knowing what I know now - I would probably opt for something that would take a little less "effort" - Like something from
- VPI
- Music Hall
- SOTA
- Michell

But then hindsight is 20/20 :-)

Cartridges...
- for the rega style arm, the stock Denon DL103 is a great performing moving coil "starter cartridge", reasonably priced at $229 and a breeze to setup - but you can get upgrades for this as well, like...
- one of the ZU 103's which perform significantly better than the stock 103 - or
- the Soundsmith 103's - almost the "ultimate" in 103 mods, but they do require a MINT protractor for the best setup/sound.
- There is a guy in Italy that does a complete 103 rebuild, which involves rewinding the coils - $$$$$$ + TIME

I've tried Rega, Nogoka and a few other cartridges, but found I preferred the sound of the Denon's in my system

I guess it all depends on your own personal "approach" and more importantly - your budget.

I also agree with another member - if your system is highly resolving - get a TT with comparable abilities

I also use a Simaudio MOON LP5.3RS phono stage - which performs extremely well - especially if you use a great power cable - or the available seperate power supply.

And those are just some of the mods out there :-)

Hope this helps
VPI Prime/Ortofon Winfield ...hardly get much better without piles of more money.
I agree with Stringreen:

"VPI Prime/Ortofon Winfield ...hardly get much better without piles of more money."

Except: there are many other great cartridges to chose from.

You can start with much cheaper ones, and move up, per your own budget, and, taste.

Beware: you must understand the "anal" in "analog"!

You have to listen critically, to many records, for long hours, and make very fine adjustments, for best results.
The reason I suggested the Winfield because it can be had for much less than asking price, and the performance is much more than asking price. Its really a steal.