B&W 683S2 for entery level speakers

What is your opinion re. Bowers and Wilkins 683S2 speakers? I am not an audiophile but I liked this pair when I listened to them. The reviews are generally very positive but I wanted to check if there is anything better at this price range
speedmaster20d
Scott,

I found your reply very interesting since I currently have the Triton Sevens and have been considering adding the 682S2s to my system. Would you be so kind to comment on the subjective sonic differences you heard between these two speakers? Thanks.

John
i am of the option that your money will go farther with Revel, PSB, Kef, Dynaudio etc.

I started out with the 703s which is a nicer version (no longer made) of the 683S2. They wore on me after awhile. They lack bass and the Mids wore out my ears. Nothing wrong with liking and buying the B&Ws. They are made well and will last. Just demo some other brands first.
I've never listened to them, but I can tell you I have a brand new (still in unopened manufactures carton) pair of JBL S412P speakers that are certainly comparable. I'm willing to sell the pair for less than what I see the cost of the B&Ws are. Read the extensive reviews on the Internet of happy owners of these JBLs. If your interested you can contact me off board at [email protected]. Thanks.
John,

The GE Triton 7 is a great speaker. I really enjoyed them. The ribbon tweeter is excellent. I really liked the mids and the bass as well.

Compared to the 683S2 the Triton 7s have a slightly more distant perspective of the music. That would be the biggest difference between the two. Both speakers have excellent detail, resolution, and tone. Both create an excellent soundstage. Both are very dynamic but I would give the edge to the 683S2

I preferred the bass of the 683S2. In fact I preferred the bass of the 683S2 to any of the other speakers I demoed. The bass tone of the 683S2 is, for me, remarkable.

Bottom line is I believe both speakers are great. They offer good value and exceptional sound. It boils down to presenting the music differently from each other.

Some info that might be helpful: my room is large (26fx23fx8-11f ceiling). I'm using an Arcam FMJ A19 50watt integrated.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers,

Scott
Thanks everyone, I should mention that the speakers will be placed very close to the wall. This rules out the speakers with port in the back. Also the 683S2 currently go for about $1600 a pair at best buy, some of the alternatives mentioned are more expensive it seems.