Which components knocked you out on first listen?

I've been listening to stereos since 1973 and I am still waiting to be truly knocked out by the sound of a component. I have sat in showrooms across the country and have been pleased by what I have heard but never truly blown away.
The closest I came was when I listened to a Meitner str-55 amp and VTL preamp a few years ago, sourced by a Linn Ikemi and Revel loudspeakers. However, I also have been moved by a
Apple computer cd drive, circa 1994 through a Creek 4040 and RA Lab speakers, estimated cost about $1,200; maybe more so than the Linn,Revel 10K system. How about you?
cody
i got shocked by a tube amp once. It didn't really knock me out, but it did feel like a baseball bat hit me in the arm !
Went over to a colleague from work's house for dinner. Unknown to me he had an amazing system. He was kind enough to audition a few cd's after dinner and I was awestruck.

JM lab / Focal Grand Utopia Be speakers, no idea what the other components were. I'd never heard music like that before, it changed my life.
Mrdecibel,
If only we had more Audiogon members, 'hell USA Citizens'! like you...

06-18-10: Mrdecibel wrote:
"I was at my friend Scotts house. He had MBL101's with all top Jadis gear. He had an air bearing turntable and arm with a moving coil cartridge(I wish I remembered the phono gear). All top end. I brought over Santana "Amigos" and listened to both sides. He let me crank it to a level that I liked(he was not as loud of a listener). I placed myself closer to the speakers than he so we can both have the sweet spot. Sometime during the track "Europa" I became emotional and started to cry."

Lordy, when I read this post, realizing how candid you were/are, I was really, really moved. Not many 'men' in our society will admit to tears.
Actually, I'm in the same camp when it comes to music.

Time for one of my famous "STORIES"

Years ago, when I owned a retail business, a man called to ask to audition the STAX headphones.
I was a dealer for them briefly...he was a business guy, who traveled (back when people had significant jobs in this country) and made an appointment.
I had everything 'set up' for him...using a Conrad Johnson preamp to feed the STAX, he brought his own material, LP's with him, mostly Classical.
He began listening--I was doing busy work and trying to not hover over him, but kept noticing his body movement, with the music, he'd blanche or stiffen occassionally, really a visceral experience.
Then, during one work that was particularly beautiful to him, he began to tear up--I tried not to intrude on his personal moment and space, and stayed across the store.
He, finally stood abruptly , and almost ran to the front door.
At that time, my store was in a 'walking mall', outdoors, with sitting/floral areas for smoking or relaxing.
I looked out, and there he was, face burried in his hands, weeping openly. It was all I could do to not run out and try to comfort him--torn between business and a simple moment of human compassion.
He came in (after smoking about three cigarettes) and pulled out his check book...he bought the STAX, the cj preamp, and other various things.
Then he did a curious thing...as if reading my mind, he looked me in the eye and said, "Thanks for understanding, Larry."
I'll never forget that day.

Mrdecible:
We certainly seem to appreciate and even possibly understand one another on this site--and of course I think, from my side to yours, for good reason.
Apparently, when I rail on about the MBL's I have AT LEAST one person who agrees with their capacity to excite and even overwhelm huh?

Thanks for your absolutely wonderful post.
Infinity kappa 9s driven by nakamichi amps (or sumo) back in 91 at rogersound labs. man, that was incredible.