why do people feel the need to buy expensive cable

I have tried expensive cables and one's moderately priced. I would say there were some differences but I can't actually say the expensive cables were better. IMHO I believe a lot of people buy expensive cables because they don't actual trust their ears and are afraid of making a mistake. They figure the expensive cables are better for the fact they cost more. If you have a difference of opinion or share the same thoughts, I would like to hear about it.
taters
"Compelled to buy " ...... Hardly.

"Elective to do so".... Absolutely, if

(A) you have the quality build kit with the resolution capabilities to make it work and --ergo-- make it worthwhile.

(B) Here's a litmus test reported by a third party attending reporter who was reporting on the shared observations of the thousands of attendees at the TAVES audio expo in Toronto in Nov 2014.

NORDOST ran its demonstration symposiums and the following is the reporters review in Canadahifi mag.

With reference to (A) above , his conclusions summarize it well

Nordost

"...
I had a chance to sit in on a couple demonstrations in the Nordost room, giving my feet a well deserved break. I’m very familiar with the benefits of high quality cables and use a full Nordost Heimdall 2 loom with my reference two-channel setup. That being said, I always find the Nordost demonstrations to be an “ear-opening” experience. Michael Taylor from Nordost demonstrated the significant sonic benefits of replacing an OEM cable with a Nordost model – in particular 1) a swap of a single USB cable, from OEM to Nordost Blue Heaven ($250/2m), to Heimdall 2 ($500/2m) and; 2) a swap of a single RCA interconnect, from OEM, to Blue Heaven, to Heimdall 2, to Tyr 2 and finally Valhalla 2. Along with convincing the audience in the room that cables DO matter, I’ve now got the bug to upgrade...."
Calvinj,+1
Simply enjoy what you have and for those who can afford better, so be it.

I've kept all my speaker wires since I've started this hobby and the pay off is worth it. Solid core, multi strand, bare and tinned coated, and it pays to be able to swap out and experiment depending on amp and speakers as there's no one solution.

This can help narrow down what you need to perfect your system to your satisfaction, and if necessary, narrow down you choices on where to go next.

Aside from that, I don't know where to go next with this thread.

All the best,
Nonoise
-
Now hear this

Hmmm.

What do you guys (no women here right ? ) think stands out the most in the above ?

a) The hairstyles
b) The fashions being worn
c) How about that nice listening chair
d) the gear (speakers)
e) maybe the placement of the chair in relation to the gear (speakers)
f) how about the price shown
g) something else maybe ...