What vintage speaker might you use today

Like to find out what "vintage speakers" members would/might use in their current audio set-up

Do you think what made them special was the synergy between them and the amp used, or just the fact they were well designed and performed way above their price tag.??
sunnyjim
I'm not sure exactly what the definition of "vintage" is, but none of my loudspeakers are of very recent vintage. My loudspeakers include Apogee Calipers, New Large Advents, Spendor 9/1, EPI 202 and Monitor Audio Studio 20s.

I have only used the Calipers with one amp, a JRDG 112. I really don't whether it's a great match, but I think it sounds very good. If I ever get the Calipers refurbed I'll look for an amp with more power. The Calipers are by far the best $500 I ever spent in audio.

The Advents and the EPIs aren't set up for critical listening, but I have found them to be relatively uncritical of amplification. They work well with vintage Sansui integrated, Fisher 400, classic Luxman receivers and even Panasonic digital amps.

I use the Spendors with Roksan M series amplification. I've also tried them with a Sony V-fet power amp. Both sound very good, but I've read were the 9/1 respond really well to tube power.

My experiences with non-recent loudspeakers has been very, very positive. Even after the price of refurbing the Calipers will cost less than $3,000. Can their sound quality be matched by current loudspeakers at that price? The Spendors rarely come up for sale, but I paid $2,500 for mine 5 years ago. You might not like their sound, but their value and quality are undeniable. You also don't see many Monitor Audio Studio series on the market either. Simple two way designs with outstanding soundstage/imaging, good detail and a smooth sound. The only piece of equipment I sold that I regret is a pair of Studio 50s. Shouda' kept 'em.
I have no doubt that I will be the first of many to name the obvious first choice, the original Quad ESL.