beryllium vs diamond

Hi guys, today's technology has brought us a new type of tweeter made of diamond or beryllium. Do you know what are the strengths and weaknesses of diamond vs beryllium? Which one is the more expensive? Has today's dome tweeter better resolving power than the venerable electrostat? Jim Thiel once said that dynamic designs will be getting better all the time and will probably surpass electrostatic designs.
dazzdax
I've heard some Be's and some diamonds that I have liked, but some I haven't. The Magico's I heard were much smoother on top than what I remember hearing last year. They just aren't my speaker as I can't emotionally connect. I've honestly tried as I was offered a pair for a rediculous price.

The one think I have liked about the Vandersteen 7's is what I stated above and that's the fact they can use the same carbon fiber in all their drivers so there is a coherent family sound that meshes really well. I am not saying it's the be all, end all by any means. In the end a great designer can build a nice sounding speaker with good quality drivers, but as we get better technolgy, the greats are upping their games and we all win. I personally don't love the idea of having Be in my home if I don't have to. I have MS and am very concerned about it even though I'm not touching the tweeters. I probably should say that as so many like those tweeters. Again, JMHO.
Cts, the Vandy 7 is a great sounding speaker given the right room and
accompanying equipment. And Vandersteen aren't standing still with
the release of the Vandy 7 Mk2 which by all reports is outstanding. I used
to own Marten Coltrane Alto's which used all-ceramic Accuton drivers top to
bottom, so I agree there are some advantages in using identical driver
materials. Interestingly, the Magico S7's use very similar materials in all
their drivers, incl: a diamond-coated beryllium tweeter (diamond being a
form of carbon), and hybrid carbon Nano-Tec/Nano-Graphene in the
midrange and bass drivers. From what i've read, the new drivers are a new
thing and breakthrough for Magico. Doubtless Magico want to stay ahead
of the game of manufacturers like Tidal, Wilson Benesch & Vandeesteen.
As you said, in the end the winners are we audiophiles.
The quality of the highs effect the midrange quite a bit....B&W's diamond tweeter in the 800 range allows for a more natural upper midrange, especially audible on strings.
Mel, I do like the new Magico's much better than before. No question for me. I have heard diamonds sound pretty good before too, but for some reason I have felt the carbon tweeters seem to be more natural. Again, just my ears.
Cts, I also aim for natural. Please refer to my post in the other thread. One can't forget that diamond is a form of carbon. And if you've read up on Magico's M Project, you would be aware that Magico made big strides forward with their latest MBD28 & MBD26 tweeters, and pioneering use of graphene in their midrange and bass drivers (which has resulted in cones which are 300% stiffer & 30% lighter than the previous generation). But the proof is in the pudding as they say & i'll be sure to post an update once my S7's are in situ!