Otari or Technics Reel-to-Reel ?

Hi.
I am thinking about getting one of those in the future. I am sure I would want Studer but they are too expensive for me. I want the deck to be able to record on 7.5 and 15 and to play on 3.75, 7.5 and 15, both half-track and quater-track tapes.
I would be recording from vinyl making compilations and listening to studio recordings whenever I could get them.
I would be prepared to pay to have it properly cleaned aligned and calibrated.
I actually never delt with RTR, but in my heart I am a tape man not vinyl man.
What would your recommendations and advice be? I would appreciate any input based on knowledge and experience.
inna
I have two Otari decks. The MX5050 BII-2 and a Mark III. The former I use to record and playback and the latter I turned into a transport for playback only. Signal is taken from the heads and sent to a tube tape head amp. I highly recommend these decks and RMGI tape which I use to record with.
Would you recommend BII-2 or Mark III? For both recording and playback. I would be recording on 7.5 and 15. Is the difference significant in case of high quality signal?
I am not quite sure why but I too am inclined to getting Otari. And, yes, I agree with the world needing more tape fans. Back to the roots, not to mention the best sound.
Get the MX5050 BII-2. The Mark III is mounted on a cart with separate transport and preamp. The MX5050 is a pro-sumer model that is all-in-one and has a smaller footprint.
Cleeds, the Otari can indeed "do both." There's a switch atop the headstack that makes it real easy to select 2-track or 4-track playback. As far as 4-track recording is concerned, it's not quite as simple, although there's a headstack designed for that. One of the joys of the Otari is the ease of switching a headstack; just unscrew 3 screws and lift it out. Alignment is unaffected.