Most achingly-beautiful music

Ultimately, we listen to music to be moved, for example, to be elated, exulted, calmed or pained. Which are the 3 most affecting pieces of music do you find the most affecting?
hungryear
Haven't been following this thread, so apologies if it has been mentioned. In terms of achingly beautiful, how about Patty Loveless "They Never Left Harlan Alive".
Well, I expect to have stones thrown at me for these suggestions, but I think the melodies are simply and yearningly beautiful:

Canon in D -- Pachelbel

Waltz from Sleeping Beauty Ballet -- Tschaikovsky

As a conductor once commanded: OK, let's play it again, and this time with a little schmaltz!

Jim Crane
Agreed, Jim.

And I would add well recorded piano solos of Brahms Waltz No. 3 and Moonlight Sonata to your short list! While all of like to show off our system with some huge, spectacular piece, it is the simple melodies and performances that move us the most.

I just bought an XRCD recording Super Double Bass by Gary Karr off eBay. The recording quality is absolutely stunning and the first cut "Amazing Grace" overwhelmed me to the point of tears - not something that recorded music can't accomplish very often!

Bill
Mozart!!!
Clarinet Quintet, K. 581
Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
Budapest Quartet.
This is my favorite classical-( Chamber Music) LP or CD. I don't listen to very much Clasaical. If I could find more of this emotional attack of everry note, strings laying sweet weavings of rocky layers, dancing, prancing clarinet creeping, flying- soaring- over the wonderful fabric that each of the 4 strings create before me, I would seek the music out with the same passion with which the artists perform.
This is magical.
I can't stop playing this song on Hank Jones (wonderfully lyrical pianist) For My Father cd. "Pauletta"