Is no preamp really better that a good preamp?

Hi All, I have PS Audio gear, and both my DAC and my phono section have enough gain to run directly to the amp. Is this really the optimal arrangement, or might I actually get better sound by adding a good preamp, say a Cary or a Modwright tube unit, to the mix. Thanks in advance.
Ag insider logo xs@2xrustler
George makes a good point- if a preamp robs you of transparency and detail, its not helping!

The same can be said of an improperly applied passive control.

In both cases, audition is necessary.

It is not correct to say that all active preamps take away from detail and transparency or add colorations. Some give you *less* coloration with greater detail and transparency.

But it is also not correct to say that all passive controls take away from detail and transparency or add colorations. Some give you less coloration with greater detail and transparency; **in either case its all in the setup.**

The issue is you have to pay attention to variables and interconnect are one of the bigger sets of variables. For example, I like to have my preamp and turntable near the listening chair, and my amps as close to the speakers as I can get them. So my interconnects are 30 feet long. A passive does not work in this situation. To get around cable problems, I run equipment that supports the balanced line standard (defined in the AES file 48) and thus the cable does not contribute or detract from the sound.

A further variable in input and output impedances of the equipment in use. This can work badly with either active or passive systems- again- its all in the setup!

When the cable ceases to be part of the system sound (regardless of how you go about it), that's a good thing. If you are running a passive system, the obvious lesson here is keep your cables short!

Ralph??? we are discussing about what the OP's question is, stop rambling about passives, GET A GRIP MATE.

"Is no preamp really better that a good preamp"
"It is not correct to say that all active preamps take away from detail and transparency or add colorations. Some give you *less* coloration with greater detail and transparency."
+1,Ralph.
You hit the nail on the head.

That is precisely what a preamp did for my whole system - greater detail and transparency.
Having a preamp also solved the impedance mismatch between the K-01 and Bryston 28B monos.

But in George's little world, change the source OR power amp! Surreal!

Cheers@ J.

How in g**s name can a active preamp give you more REAL detail (not perceived detail because of distortions) from the source than the same well match direct source to poweramp.??

Please produce some laws of electronics in your answer and not voodoo speak.

Cheers George
Not to disagree with two of my favorite and most respected A'gon colleagues (Ralph & Jon), but if:

1)The output stage of a source component can drive whatever power amp is being used and the associated interconnect cables without compromise, or, alternatively, at least as well as whatever preamp might be inserted between those components, AND

2)The volume control in the source component, assuming it has one, is EITHER:

(a)As transparent in the range of settings that would be used in the no preamp configuration of the system as it would be if set for use with a preamp (i.e., at or near max in typical cases), OR

(b)As transparent as the volume control that is provided in whatever preamp might be introduced into the signal path,

then it seems to me that the only way inserting a preamp into the signal path can result in sound quality that is subjectively preferable would be by producing an output that is less true to the source material (i.e., less accurate) than the signal that is provided to it by the source component.

And I believe that George is using the term "coloration," or "colouration" in Down-Under speak, to mean essentially the same thing as "inaccuracy."

Best regards,
-- Al