Most achingly-beautiful music

Ultimately, we listen to music to be moved, for example, to be elated, exulted, calmed or pained. Which are the 3 most affecting pieces of music do you find the most affecting?
hungryear
This thread has been kept alive over one year. May it survive another! Toward that end, try the "Prelude to Parsifal" by Wagner, especially as performed by Christian Thieleman.
Hi, Tubegroover, Detlof, Rcprince; may I also recommend the Quator Altis version of 14 on Sony (the version is based on the original text -- so, differs slightly from the others).

Can't seem to find the RCA version of the #15 on catalogue...

Re, Beethoven cycles: there are two of Furtwangler's versions of the 9th (1951 Bayreuth & '54 Philarmonia Orch.) I find very moving. Also a 3rd by Furt: 1944, Vienna Phil.

Khrys: interesting tip about Parsifal/Thielemann. You also might want to consider Klemperer's version of same (EMI).

Cheers!
Right now I'm rediscovering an oldie from my childhood. Chet Atkins' "Theme From A Dream" from his "In Hollywood" album. This was previously unavailable on CD, but was just issued on JVC XRCD a couple weeks ago.

Strange thing though. I just found out that the songs I loved all these years from that album were actually from a second studio session a few years after the original master was done in 1958. Last year I purchased a second copy of this album on Ebay and while the jacket and label were identical, the arrangements were totally different from my dad's copy. The people at JVC told me that they are aware of this second recording, but that BMG may have unfortunately lost these masters.

What I enjoy so much about the later recording, and why I think it's so achingly beautiful is that it focuses on the simpler guitar arrangements of Mister Guitar rather than the larger orchestrations of the original session.

Those songs are just so beautiful. And sad. It's too bad the only way I can enjoy them now is from a scratchy 40 year old LP.
Hello Detlof, I have not listened to the Abbado Beethoven cycle, but I think that while Karajan was not exactly suited to Ravel, he really understood Ludwig Van in the first Stereo DGG cycle.
Carlos Kleiber had an outstanding 5 & 7 on DGG back in 75, that most critics praised as THE ONE. It is outstanding, and yet,and yet, I still cant let go of the Karajan magic on the 1963 cycle.
Do you or anyone here care to comment on the great Mahler symphonies? (1,2,3).
My choices are Horensten,(1st & 3rd, and what a third!!!!!on UNICORN LP & CD).
Bernstein, Kaplan( not a conductor per say, but a man who studied the "Resurrection" ad infinitum and probably knows more about the Mahler 2nd than even Lenny did. Produced an incredibly good 2nd on MCA records with libretto notes not found anywhere)...and Walter on the 2nd.
Solti also had an outstanding 1st on Decca. Good to see this place alive again. .........Frank
Hello Frap. It is indeed good to to see this place alive an kicking again. I wholeheartedly agree with you about the early von Karajan renderings of LvB. I could never really warm to the Kleiber, whereas I loved Reiner's Eroica and the Pastorale, which he did with the CSO. You make me curious about the Horenstein Maler, which I never had the chance to hear. I'll go hunting for Unicorns though I suppose, as in the fairytales, they are rare beasts indeed!