Is this a good leveling tool?

Hi,

I recently came accross this item, while reading on a forum.

http://srm-tech.co.uk/epages/4c008923-2265-416e-a207-cc9dd8b06028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/4c008923-2265-416e-a207-cc9dd8b06028/Products/TSL1

I used my clearaudio level gauge to level my TT but I can't place the level gauge in the very center of the platter. This one can be placed on the very center. Is it helpful or is the presentation of it o the SRM-tech website just rubbish? Has anyone here used this item before?

Otherwise they have a clamp with a bubble level as well. Any feedback would be welcome.

http://srm-tech.co.uk/epages/4c008923-2265-416e-a207-cc9dd8b06028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/4c008923-2265-416e-a207-cc9dd8b06028/Products/RSC

Best,

B.
boozendormi
Post removed 
Post removed 
What do you make of this?

"That’s good advice. How do you prepare?

A firm, level work surface is necessary. Basic hand tools are required along with any special tools needed for tonearm or suspension adjustments. Special tools are usually furnished with the turntable or tonearm. A precision alignment gauge must be used to align the cartridge and set stylus overhang. A carpenter’s level is essential. A straight edge level works much better than a round bubble level.

When the work area is ready and the tools are collected how do you begin the set-up?

I start assembling a mass-isolated table by leveling the platter. The feet should be adjusted to be as close to the plinth as possible and locking nuts tightened to eliminate vibration and movement. Next verify that the plinth is level. If the platter is level and the plinth or arm mounting surface is not level, you’ve got a serious problem. Fix it before you proceed. All level checks should be done in two perpendicular directions—side-to-side and front-to-back. That covers the first stage of set-up for tables without spring suspension.

Are suspended turntables assembled differently?

Many suspended tables, like Linn Sondeks, must be elevated for access to the chassis adjustments. These tables should be mounted in a secure set-up jig that allows you to work above and below the plinth. The set-up jig must be level.

Again the first step is to level the platter and verify that the arm mounting surface is parallel to the platter surface. If the arm mounting surface is not absolutely parallel to the platter surface the situation must be corrected. The tonearm will not work correctly if there is even a small deviation from parallel. Fix the problem or replace the defective part. Do not use shims in an attempt to compensate for non-parallel surfaces!

After we’re sure that everything is level and true, what’s next?

At this point I install the cartridge in the tonearm with the bolts positioned at the midpoint of the headshell slots, mount the tonearm on the turntable and pre-adjust the counterweight. Before suspension adjustments begin, the tonearm cable and belt should be installed and the tonearm should be placed in the midpoint of travel over the playable surface of the record. Then the suspension can be leveled."

Here's a link to the entire article.

http://brooksberdanltd.com/turntable-setup-by-richard-hardesty