A separate dac and preamp or a good dac with pream

Hi all,
Don't know if this was posted in Audiogon but could not find any.
I am undecided abiut getting the Teac UD503 to use as a dac and preamp or get a dac. Currently, I am using a sacd (Marantz SA8005) for my physical and digital source. Am thinking a dac would improve the digital a step but do not want another piece of equipment on the shelf. Currently using pre/power and would like to keep the sacd player.
All feedback welcomed.
cusco69
Thanks Douglas,
Agree, in certain sectors, thanks for pointing out.

However, for the average enthusiast like me on a budget, things don't look rosy as amplification are moving towards D or its hybrid, dacs are moving into higher resolutions and dsd, speakers are getting titanium and diamonds, cables are making its debut in every connection ....... AND prices are moving into the skies, sign :-(

I guess I better learn to get contented with what I have after this dac purchase. Cheers and enjoy the music everyone.
Cusco69, I can relate to the audiophile on the budget, for I was one for a long time. Shoot me a message here and we'll talk.
Well I'm a bit old school so I have a good CD player (Vitus) which is essentially a full dac with a transport & an integrated amp. I'm not a fan of dac-preamps as conversely they tend to be full preamps with a dac 'board' tacked on.

In my opinion I would get a dac that has output level control done in the digital domain, and connect direct to your amp. As this will be the most transparent/dynamic sound you can get from source to amp.

It would be nice to get one that you can set the max volume level, some have two/three or four setting done inside that give you a choice of output level, 0-2v or 0-3v output and I've even seen some that do 0-8v

What this means is you set it for your system so you can use it's digital volume control at and above 75%, so you don't run the risk of "bit stripping" it's not bad but can lower resolution if below 75% of full, on some cdp or dacs

Cheers George
Do you really need a preamp? Meaning, if your only source is digital and you are on a budget, get the essential as good as possible.

BTW. An optimized laptop connected to a good DAC will generally sound better or at least the same as a budget CD player, for less money.

Also BTW, if you can assemble look into Hypex NCore amp modules for extremely ood performance for a relatively low price in class D amplification. Then focus all your budget on a good DAC with a good analog section.