Diminishing hearing ability?

I believe my biggest challenge in pursuing a great listening experience is my diminishing hearing ability. I have assembled a $50k system through Audiogon (for about $30k) that should knock my socks off. Once and a while it does but most of the time is less enjoyable than my first "higher end" $5k system 30 years ago.

Just had to remark because it's rather frustrating at times. Not that my hearing is that bad, it's just not what it had once been.

I suppose we're all challenged by this to varying degrees. Hmmm, anyone ever have an "ear tune-up" (short of a hearing aid)? May be the best tweak of all!!!

rbschauman
You can have your ears cleaned professionally.

You can't do anything about bad source material. If it's not recorded and copied well you are SOL.

You might be surprised and disappointed were you to listen to your 5k system today.
I suspect it's probably not your hearing at all that's to blame. I suspect it all actually stems from the basic premise that it just ain't that easy to assemble a system that knocks your socks off. Most systems I've heard and that's a lot are kind of blah, to be brutally blunt about it. If it were easy everyone could do it.
90+ year old conductors can conduct because the brain can fill in gaps from memory.

I agree with Tostad, I wanted big Infinities back in the day , heard some in recent years and wouldn't want them for free now .