Passive & Tubed pre-amps to power amp at same time?

Would any harm be done by using a Y-splitter to simultaneously connect a passive pre-amp and tubed pre-amp to the same power amp? The idea would be to use the passive for volume control and run signal from a CDP to the power amp. The tubed pre would be used for sending other inputs (e.g., phono) to the power amp. All devices would be "powered up" at the same time but only one input at a time would be used. Thanks in advance.
128x128ghosthouse
Post removed 
Al - Yes. Looking to extend the range (and "fineness") of volume control which most of the time now is limited to between 7 & 9 o'clock on my pre-amp with TEAC CD3000 as input. I was aware of the Rothwell attenuators. They were my first inclination but I was put off by reports of negative effects on sonics. The fact you found them satisfactory carries some weight with me. I understand the product option you are suggesting. The attenuators would certainly seem to be a more elegant solution than another box or two and more interconnects. As others have stated, you are a real asset to this "community". Thanks once again.
If you use your CD player with your preamp, why not try lowering the volume on the CD payer. That should give you more range when using the preamps volume control.
Zd...no volume control on the CDP. It's 2.6 Vms out unbalanced and 4.6 Vms balanced. That's why I had been thinking to skip the tubed pre-amp and go passive with the Schiit SYS.

If I get this right with what you want to do.

What I would do is put all your sources into the inputs of the active preamp so you can switch between them, then come out of the tape output of the active preamp into input of the passive preamp and then out of the output of it to the poweramp/s input.

Basically this way your using the active preamp as a source selector.

Cheers George