AV Receiver recommends

I started researching receivers last year. The only place I could actually audition any of them was at the Magnolia room (Best Buy) and they tend to push you towards the Pioneer D Class Amps. Not that anything is wrong with them I actually like the Pioneer SC-91 that just came out.

I wanted to get the boards consensus though before going that route. I think the AV receiver is my next purchase.

Again, I am running a 5.1 system with B&W CM1's all around, Sony XBR-55HX950 TV, JBL-150 (pending upgrade) and my 15 year old Yamaha AV.

Are there other recommendations outside the Pioneer D Class series? I'm sorta an Apple guy so iPhone, iTunes, Apple TV integration is always a plus.
thx-333
Other posts have answered your questions pretty thoroughly. I would add just a few comments. The Marantz web site claims the SR5010 can handle low impedance loads, so if the CM1s dip much below 8ohms, that may not be a problem. At under 23 lbs and delivering over 70 watts x 5 into 8 ohms and capability to handle low impedances tells me this is likely a switching amp rather than more classic AB type. Switching amps are getting much better sounding, and I have heard the CM1s sound very good with 500W per channel Rotel switching amp. That is in part why I like more power for these very inefficient speakers. Ultimately it depends on the size of your listening space and the volumes you prefer, but I can envision circumstances for rock or classical music performances, or a large dynamic shift during a Blu-Ray where more amplifier headroom would be appreciated. Just saying...

kn
WOW thanks Tls49! Very informative! Same to you Knownothing appreciate the info.

I'm still shopping so taking in all the advice you guys are giving me! Your right, the CM1's do feel like they need some power behind them. So I will look into the NAD line as well.

However, from Tls49's research seems like the SR5101 Marantz might be sufficient for my needs and my set up. Unless I want to go up in price point.

I'll keep looking for a little while longer.
The onkyo and pioneer are rinky dink. The power ratings on the consumer stuff is nonsense. Everyone is 100 watts a channel - probably peak to peak (not rms) when only one channel is running. Load up all 5 channels and its like 30 watts in the front and half of that in the back. You get what you pay for.
Thanks Cerrot! I knew that of the Onkyo's and I've read all the return merchandize and angry consumers on Amazon regarding their receivers. And this forum has swayed me away from Pioneer… when i heard they were combining companies that really scared me away.

I'm with you brethren! =)
My father has had an Anthem 510 for about 6 months and it has been great.....sounds awesome, blows away his B&K ref 20/ 5000II combo that he bought in 98.... Great feature set, much easier for him to use.....ARC is easy to set up, sounds great with his Sonus Fabers