Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Has anyone heard that burmester 151 at any of the recent shows or any where else. It's seems to be an all in solution?
No, he has not used his Lampi in ages since he went Emerald Physics then Goldmund DSP electronics.

He still keeps his old Lampi for sentiment. LoL
Goldmund ProLogos Plus Wireless

Ok, so let's say that Matt has a digital transport such as Antipodes and doesn't utilized Goldmund's room correction device. Which digital output is used for the dongle(s)?

Once the digital signal is received (by L/R speakers), then what happens prior to pre/power amplification? Specifically, how is PCM and DSD handled? What does the DSP do?

Are the pre/power amps, which are mounted in the speaker cabinet, well designed compared to others at the $20,000 price point?

Are the drivers well designed compared to other speakers at roughly the $30,000 price point?

I'm really hoping Matt will be able to home demo. I'm extremely skeptical. Seventy grand will buy quite an impressive traditional component system. I'd fully expect a system at that price to absolutely wipe the floor with mine (Cary electronics/Focal speakers- less than half price).

-Josh
08-22-15: Wisnon
No, he has not used his Lampi in ages since he went Emerald Physics then Goldmund DSP electronics.

If EP was his prior frame of reference, that explains some of the hyperbole....
08-22-15: Jh901

I'm really hoping Matt will be able to home demo. I'm extremely skeptical. Seventy grand will buy quite an impressive traditional component system.

Me too Josh. This whole thread started in the name of digital, and we all know the lengths that Steve Nugent, Lucas and others go to make it sound palatable. The idea that you can equal or better that with a Swiss version of Bang & Olufsen on steroids is magical thinking and an example of the advertising hyperbole that Lucas was alluding to from his Munich blog. This magical Logos system has not floored people at shows. Why not?

Here is some Audiofederation feedback (he can be fairly blunt):

Hi SMajor,

Yeah, I guess we do end up with a lot of large and elaborate setups. Not always but… yeah… :-)

Hmmmmm… ‘better sound’ …. hmmmmm…. Goldmund has what we call a sophisticated sound. We like this flavor of sound, Neli especially so. High resolution, good micro-dynamics, both across the frequency spectrum. Quick and dexterous.

If you like this kind of sound then this system does a reasonably good job at it [I have no idea what the price here is, so if is $1M, do not buy it. If it is $10K, order it up NOW].

If you do not know what sound you like – get yourself to a show and do some listening. But if you just want to get SOMETHING, and you are liking what you read about Goldmund, then by all means…

If you do not know what we mean by ‘sophisticated sound’ then this sound here is kind of like a planer speaker, for example if you have heard decent solid-state on Magnepan, but more detail in the lower frequencies and not quite as much microdynamics [but more than most other box speaker systems].

If there is any complaint with the sound here it is the slight amount of sterility. But, as you may know, I say that about just about all 100% solid-state systems. The Goldmund system actually does a decent job at being musical compared to most solid-state, including lots of outrageously priced things out there.

I’m sure Goldmund also makes separates and they will sound better if they cost more and sound not as good if they cost less. That is just the way manufacturers setup their product lines. But we also see the appeal in simple clean-looking setups. Really. We do. :-)

Hope this helps!

Take care,
-Mike

SMajor October 16, 2014 http://audiofederation.com/blog/2014/10/13/goldmund-rmaf-2014

Matt, any updates? You have been a little quiet....