oppo 105d mod or look for a new cd player ?

Had dealer install a set of wilson watt/puppy 7's. My system is small comprising of pass labs xa30.5 amp and x1 preamp. My source today is a oppo 105d. I got this since it works for the kids movies etc.. but I listen to 2 channel cd music through it. My dealer advised next upgrade should be my source to a dedicated cd player vs the oppo.
My question is .. lets say budget is $3k-$4K.. would people advise an oppo upgrade (EVS or Modwringht) or a dedicated cd player for the money ? Thanks in advince for any thoughts..
fsyme
My reputation is sterling. No one feels as this person does. All I can say is that there are two sides to every story but I am not going to tell you my side. Don't believe this kind of thing belongs here. All I can say is what he said is not true and actually the opposite is true. That is all I will say. Check out posts by others about my work and conduct and even contact them if you like. I do incredible work and what I do is incredible for the money.....it is nothing like what he says...nothing. I will say no more about this. End of story.
By the way, the player I modded for this person was an Oppo 95 and it was modded early in 2012 (3.5 years ago).
Wig, which Lampi did you own? I have wondered how those would compare to the MW Sony. I still prefer the MW HAPZ1to the MW 5400, but the 5400 still gets playing time. I have wondered if one of the Lampi's might be worth the investment.
Jwt before you post the type of derogatory comment about a vendor who makes a living by modifying gear and who otherwise has a seeming very good reputation, you might want to provide more details of YOUR personal experience. It sounds more like a rage rant than anything credible. There are ALWAYS 3 sides to a story but you really haven't even provided your side as to what specifically happened with this vendor, it is not fair play by you. btw, what happened between your post below and now?

12-21-11: Jwt
EVS/ Ric Schultz does a blu- ray modification to the OPPO 95 that's downright addictive and frankly unbelievable until heard. So musical and sweet, extended yet articulate. The digital sound has come a long way, a really long way. I have a beautiful analog set up about 5K and Ric's modified Oppo 95 challenges my TT in many ways and it's definitely got soul and then some. It's magical to my ears. I do of course have the ancillary equipment perfectly matched, amp 25 watt class A pentode into 97 db speakers with dual 12" servo drivers per side and hand built cross over's on top. All for under 10K less cables and ac conditioning. I'll put it up against 50K system anyday and bet I get a least half buying and saving.
the speakers are a kit but awesome, I put it together professionally, the amp is hand built in the US like the speakers all point to point wiring with a nice kicker LIFE TIME Guaranteed on the AMP parts and labor less tubes after 90 days. Speakers are not small but not huge and the subwoofers are state of the art an included in the 5K. I have two other speakers Sonus Auditors w/ rel sub and Revel speakers with Revel sub and my above mentioned systems is decimating the latter two speaker that both cost 8K plus respectively just for the speakers. That mark up is lost value the way I see it and it's taken forever for me to learn this shit. The cables are important regardless of what anyone says. The designers of these components also make cables but I'd try all of them as they are completely affordable and claims are made that they match cost no object but I'm not sure about that. I use very high end cables in all my systems and now I'm hearing some amazing sound. My kids are rocking out most of the time, so I know its really good.
Jwt (Threads | Answers | This Thread)
In addition to the post cited by Tubegroover, the following one from this thread will also be of interest:
12-21-11: Jwt
... I think the 95 modded by EVS for about the same money right now is a unbelievable. no comparison to a modded 93 but at the same time a new 95 is 1K plus 1K is 2K but it smokes my Ayre CD 5xe mp hands down in every way. I have since sold my ayre. My ayre was 6K. So far nothing I've heard in the two channel mode with any type disc gets as close to analog as the EVS modification.
But that's just my opinion and is directly related to value, it's worth 3X in sound quality easy if not more. Analog sound is expensive and hard to get right especially in digital but I guess after 40 years Ric's getting it down right addictive.
Regards,
-- Al