Another

~

It's time to move up in my system. I'd appreciate some amp recommendations, as I haven't heard too many amps, and have little knowledge of some of the nuances involved in making a decision. Field testing amps is also difficult where I live.

My system is Magnepan 3.7 speakers; (2) Vandersteen 2wq subwoofers; Mojo Audio Mac Mini feeding a PS Audio Directstream DAC, straight to amp. No preamp. (Transparent ICs, Shunyata Triton, Anaconda PCs, DH Labs and Silnote SCs.) The current amp is a very fast and very powerful Class-D switching amp with tons of headroom.

The system is noiseless, clean, precise, detailed, neutral. The soundstage is huge, holographic, and immersive. Live recordings are the bomb. Sometimes it seems a bit sharp or harsh, but that's often the recording or the room. Overall, soft and sensuous, it ain't, but I can hear every note and breath.

I've heard some denigrate a different switching amp -- "I can hear the switching." This from a tube guy. I'd prefer not to get into any Class-X wars.

A local dealer is suggesting I look at Bryston, a classic match for Maggies, I'm sure, but he also suggests that the Bryston can be somewhat two-dimensional. His solution is a Levinson 532H, which he holds as more three-dimensional than Bryston.

Or, he has a demo Acoustic Research Ref150. Somehow, I doubt I'd like to go with tubes, due to the sonics, the expense, and the 'hassle' of dealing with tubes.

All of the prices mentioned are more than I'd like to spend, but I've gotta deal with that part of it.

So, I'd love to hear recommendations.

And... how does one audition amps when they live in an area of so few B&M audio stores?

~
rhanson739
If not, a big, juicy class A/B power amp like Pass could do it. A long time ago I had a pair of Magnapan Tympani three panel speakers and ran them with a BGW boat anchor of an amp and it never failed to satisfy.

Didn't that address it in an apropos manner?
I just wanted to keep your options open and go easy on the wallet.

All the best,
Nonoise
"@ Guidocorona Good questions. As for my current amp, it has been a bit problematic and I'm tired of dealing with it. My ideal amp would have great detail, but no glare or etching. I don't want it overly smoothed out, though, and have left tubes in my past. What's a budget? And... blues, classical, folk, live performance, etc., etc. A pretty wide range."

If that's what you would consider ideal, can you give an example of an amp that you've heard that has all of these qualities? Even if it was an amp that's out of your price range, someone may know of a less expensive alternative. Also, its kind of hard to explain in words subjective sound qualities. The same words can vary from person to person. That's why if you can link your description to an amp that some of us may have experience with, you should be able to get much better recommendations.
Excellent point ZD'... Furthermore, Rhanson, what is the power output into 8 and 4 ohms of your current amp.... And its peak current if known?

G.
Shameless plug:

I have a pair of tad hibachi amps up for Sale that would seem to fit your bill and would not break the bank to try.

I've run these as well as a pair of 500 w/ch bel canto ref 1000m amps in my systems and have run magnepans in the past as well as well as heard the latest models off rogue class d amps and arc tube amps as well.