HELP WITH A PREAMP DECISION

Sometimes one just needs to make an upgrade for reasons that are purely emotional. The system is Krell 402e, Veloce LS-1, Esoteric K-01, Revel Salon2, Stealth Indra IC cables, Siltech LS-100 speaker cables.

Just lately for no apparent reason the system sounds a bit harder than it used to. I believe that one's perception of a system changes over time.

I am considering exploring either new or different tubes for the Veloce. But would anyone care to recommend a new preamp for me. Before the Veloce I had a BAT Rex pre and it sounded great, but the Veloce sounded better after a long term audition period of several weeks.

But I am up for a change. . . .recommendations most appreciated.
huntermusic
Hunter-

did you mate the Krell w/ th B.A.T. Rex?
Your gear looks very good, perhaps a change of cabling?
Either all SilTech or all Stealth?

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!

Hi Huntermusic, your Esoteric K-01 has a very nice low 47ohm output impedance and your Krell has an equally very nice 100kohm input impedance. Perfect recipe for a passive preamp.

You should for peanuts ($49) try out this cheap one first and see what you think, then if you like what you hear and want some thing more esoteric, keep in touch.

http://schiit.com/products/sys

Cheers George

Go with what Jwpstayman told you...Those two items should be checked FIRST by doing BOTH at the same time!

I have a feeling all other suggestions, though admirable, will not be necessary.

Good luck!
Have you though about Aesthetix? I have heard them a few times and they always impressed
The Veloce is a fantastic-sounding pre-amp. Very hard to top preamps like that or Esoteric C-02 or C-02X (both worth a look if you are hunting an alternative) or Ypsilon,.....but like others have said, look at the rest of your system as well to ensure you are not overlooking another key upgrade.