Moving from the Magnepan 3.6 to the 20.1

I've been enjoying my Magnepan 3.6's immensely since I picked up a used pair about six months ago. This has got me wondering just how good the 20.1's could really be. My room is probably large enough for the 20.1's; it's 17.5w x 26L x 9h.

Unfortunately my local dealer doesn't stock the 20'1's so I don't have easy access to a pair for serious auditioning.

Have you made this move? How much 'better' are the 20.1's than the 3.6's? Were they better? What stood-out between the two?
stickman451
Zoltm, (sorry if wandering OT here)

Velodyne web site for the DD series subs or SMS-1 sub controller

SVS web site for their DRC sub controller

JL web site for the (more limited) DRC feature in their subs

I'm sure that there are more - but you can start there. Also search these threads for "DRC subwoofer" - I've participated in more than a few discussions of this subject.

Good Luck

Marty
Stickman,

I have no experience with 3.6R's, but I have used Cary 500MB's with my 1.6QR's for about 1.5 yrs. I bought the amps anticipating a move up to 3.6R's, but they have been such a wonderful upgrade that I decided to put my purchase of 3.6's on hold for a while. I think the advice you are getting on upgrading the amp first is good advice. On the Cary's, these amps are just so smooth and sweet you can't help but love them. And at 1000 W into 4 Ohms they drive the 1.6's with ease. I can't see myself ever letting go of mine.
Stickman,

They never run out of power. 1000 w into 4ohms, that's big.

Amps, not all but a list that I have tried with my Maggies, and owned most of them, in order of how I liked them.

Cary MB 500

Innersound ESL

Bryston 7b sst

Parasound Halo JC-1

Bel Canto Ref1000

Spectron Musician III

McIntosh 501's

there were a few more, but those are the usually suspects.

The bigger Pass Labs the 350.5 and above sound great, as you would expect.
Good info on the Cary 500 MB; I would probably have to buy them without a personal audition in my rig and that makes it a little more difficult to make the leap... I do keep an eye out for a good used pair but they only become available infrequently used...
you know, the thing about the Cary's is that they don't come for sale very often. So if you buy them, then don't like them, the market is very good for them, and I doubt you will even be out the shipping. I know I could sell mine for more than I paid originally, but I don't really want to.