Sub Question

I tried to do a search, but could not drill down on this. Anyway, I have never owned a sub. I never really felt the need. However, I had a friend tell me that a sub does more than just enhance bass output and perhaps bass quality. He went on to say that having a sub takes pressure off the driver thus making the speaker do less work. Because of this, the speakers will sound better or have better clarity. Thoughts?
128x128kclone
Post removed 
Kclone,

To repeat and restate:

If you put a crossover unit ahead of the main speakers it will reduce the burden on the main speakers' woofers by attenuating the bass signal they receive.

If you put an (active) crossover unit ahead of the amp feeding the main speakers, it will reduce the burden on both the main amp and the main speakers.

If you use no crossover on the main speakers - there will be no reduction in the work they do at low frequencies.

Subs can be wired in any of these ways, so the direct answer to your question is:

"It depends upon how you choose to wire the subs".

Marty

FWIW, I personally use an active x-over ahead of the main amp. Not only does this minimize the "work" of the main amp and the main speakers' woofers, it allows me to use digital room correction for the bass signal that is sent to the subwoofers. IMHO, this is a great solution. Other posters to these threads sometimes prefer a different approach. Different strokes....
Zanon, would a Rel be a high pass sub? I tried to google but came up empty. thanks.
Post removed 
Kclone: RELS are unusual in that they recommend binding the sub inputs to the binding post of the speakers.

Therefore, I don't think they introduce any crossover into the circuit.

It may be possible to wire them in different ways. Look at picture of backpanel and see if there is crossover.

Personally, I would get two subs and highpass them in series to my mains, then set up the room carefully. I would get sealed subs if I could afford them.