Recommended Speaker for Triode Amp

I've been living with inefficient Thiel 3.6 speakers for many years now, but now I'm getting a new integrated Triode amplifier rated at 20 watts per channel. I'm not familiar with horn and open baffle speakers, or other inefficient designs and could use some help.

I listen mostly to jazz, female voice, acoustical types, and rock, as opposed to Big Band and orchestral music. I have a fairly small listening room. I do like my bass, so if it's there I want to produce it well.

I've seen some speaker kits and I am handy but don't have a lot of woodworking tools. For example, I would not want to cut those large round speaker holes.

I also don't understand how to match a speakers efficiency to the power output of an amp, or maybe that doesn't matter as long as you can drive the speakers to loud levels.

I do have two goals. The first is to spend between $3K to $6K tops, and the second is to smoke my Theil 3.6 speakers.

Help and recommendations are appreciated.
kennythekey
Thanks Guys.

A family emergency just came up and I'll be out of town. Please continue if you like without me. I'll then have good info when I get back to review.
Kenny - you might try some of the smaller speakers in the Klipsch Heritage line - Cornwalls in the corners of that size room would work great.
Looks like I'll be leaving tomorrow to take care of family stuff, so I thought I'd add this. I've checked out the designs of KCS, Audiokinesis, Audio Note, Altec 19, and Tannoy speakers, plus others I’m a little hazy about. These are all beautiful and well executed speakers. I do have a question or two.

Even though I can tuck speakers into my room’s corners this would be on the long wall (15’). The speakers would face me across the short wall (13’). My concern is the limited space behind my listening position which is only two feet. This works for the Thiels but they’re away from the corners and rear walls, so about eight feet from me. I had read a review of two Audio Note speakers by Art Dudley (Stereophile) who thought these speakers benefited by having considerable space behind the listener…”I heard the smoothest response when sitting far from any and all room boundaries.” I can’t do that. In fact, if I want to form the proverbial triangle, I would need to pull back my chair closer to the back wall.

Does anyone have experience or opinion about setting up an Audio Note in my space? Many of the pictures I’ve seen from other manufacturers also tend to place their speakers near corners or they are considerably toed-in. When considering these other brands, are there ones that would work well in my room? For example, set up like my Thiels?
I've used the Merlin VSM SE with Cary 300B monos (<15wpc) and the combo was great. I can't really speak from personal experience to the current version of the VSM, but I suspect it'd still be a fine match for your SET.

Marty
There are lots of good choices, and even more opinions. I would suggest either the Audio Note K or the Zu Tone. The Ks are going to be light in the bass region, but Js or Es would almost certainly bee to much speaker for your room size. The Zu Tone is a little punchier.

Just curious, what type of rock music do you listen to? Have you heard some of your favorite music on a 20W SET amp and small speakers? I listened to Stairway to Heaven on a 300B amp and single driver speakers the other night - it was... let's call it an interesting experience.