B&W's objective opinions lean or accurate

I have a few posts and my system is evolving with the addition of a McCormack DNA225 for the fronts (which will be upgraded by Smc), McCormack HT5 for the center and surrounds, B&W N804 - scm's - and center, McCormack UDP1 Deluxe disc, Denon 3800 Blue Ray, etc. The system is evolving and can be changed as time progresses.

I have also read many threads on amps and B&W's. I understand there are very basic philosophical differences between tube system and ss system orientations and desires. But what I am struggling with is the B&W's and their signature sound. I am thinking of upgrading and do not want to regret making a narrow decision as my system evolves.

Assuming that the components powering them are acceptable, are the B&W's simply too lean and bright or are they accurate? As some have said, in a concert the sound is bright which is true. Also there is the fact that we personally listen to a wide variety of types of music so I think that we need a versitile speaker. I like the N804's but want more depth. I do like detail, soundstage, seperation of the instruments and vocals, and do not tend towards a dark sound or smooth if it means the loss of the individual instruments and seperation.

The limitations include this is a hobby with a budget and I can not hear all the brands. Even in S Cal there are limited comparison possibilities at showrooms who only want to push their favotites. I was already taken by that process and won't even mention the older stuff I bought. Here the stores push B&W, Sonus, Focal, etc. If you own anything over 3 years old, they want you to trade in. So I now buy used quality instead.

So, if you were in my position and in the cost range up to the pricepoint of a used B&W 802D, what would you reccomend as speakers in your opinion and why? In that price range there would seem to be many options.

I appreciate any feedback and understand this is very subjective and likely B&W's are overdiscussed in the threads. I really am still learning and enjoy getting the suggestions of different viewpoints and the knowledge of serious enthusiasts who have already gone through this.

Thanks again, sorry for being so wordy.

still_learning
still_learning
If you can swing the cost differential, the Vandersteen Quatro Wood has a slightly different profile, but similar delivery to the 3A. The 2ce Signature is also very good and slightly smaller than the 3A.
There are also the Vandersteen 5 and the 5s. Would those also work and what is the difference?
I have listened to the 1c, 2ce Sig. and the 7's more carefully, the 3A Sig., quatro and 5's briefly. I have liked every pair I have listened to in various systems and listening spaces, and have to say the 7's are a "Statement Audio Product". People on here swear by the Vandersteen 5's. I would do a search on the Agon Forum on "Vandersteen 5" - there are at least 78 threads, and plenty opinions provided. Hard to beat any of their line for sound quality at the price asked IMHO.
Still_learning,
looks like your budget is in the range of $8600 - $9200 (I see several 802Ds for sale here on Audiogon in this range). Besides considering Vandersteens (which Knownothing is pushing) also consider Green Mountain Audio speakers. These speakers are manuf in Colorado Springs. These speakers are time-aligned & phase coherent & 1st-order cross-over. These speakers come up for sale quite often on Audiogon & you can get them for a very good price. You might also want to directly contact the owner/deisgner of Green Mountain Audio - Roy Johnson - and ask him if he knows any of the owners wanting to sell. Roy has a very good relationship w/ his customers so he'd be in the know. Roy also provides excellent after-sales service & he is very knowledgeable about room setup. In fact, his speaker's manuals have quite a bit of room setup info in them to assist the user. Call up Roy & have a chat with him re. your room situation, your particular likes & dislikes with your current B&W speakers & your particular likes/dislikes re. how the reproduced music should sound in your room. Tell him that I sent you.

The website is http://www.greenmountainaudio.com.

Disclaimer: I am NOT affiliated w/ Green Mountain Audio in any way, shape or form. I am a previous owner of Green Mountain Audio speakers (which I sold off in Oct 2009).