what percentage of us really knows sound

Hi,been in audio preatty much all my live,play a few instruments myself, and it is chocking to me how many people in this hobbie, because they have a few Hi end gear
think that they can discern sonic diferences,or that their system sounds amazing, when 80% of time when I' listen to those fellows system, the sound is horrible, I'm talking about systems in the upper $50000, and this people come out, talking about soundstage, inner detail, and layers of sound cascading thru a huge soundscape, another thing is that, I'thought all this audiophile people where a group of well to do business people, that had money to speare,
when the truth is that most of audiophile people are broked
and dont' have their priorities toghether, been at many many, audiophile people's house, and it is sad, people with, high end systems, and no furniture,just bought a pair of speakers, $11000 retail and an Aiwa,component has more BASS THAN this speakers, affter spending more than $2500, on cables,think someone is taking advantage of the audiophile community
juancgenao
I think this is really a good thread.
I wanted to play the trumpet in my grade school band.
My band leader told me he had enough trumpet players,
already. He wanted cornet players. I bought & played the cornet.
When we performed a concert in the school auditorium,
the trumpet players marched in behind the cornets, they were right behind me. Those trumpets were loud, brash & strident, compared to the cornets.
When I listen to a good trumpet recording through my system, I expect that same sound to come from my system.
It usually does. When someone tells me a trumpet never sounds loud, brash or strident on their system, I assume their system is rolled off, weak, or both.
LOL folks! I just took a moment to read the OP's threads and answers. Very illuminating I think. Sure contains a lot of clues about where his post might have originated from. It sounds to me as if he might be one of the 'audiophiles' he is speaking so uncharitably about, and if not he just made a recent conversion.

Jauncgeano, remember that most posters here are serious audiophiles who just lack the experience to one degree or another, are seeking advise on how to improve their system or skills, and not having heard some excellent systems operating in a home, believe they may have achieved far more than they actually have. Their continuing interest in the hobby alerts them to what they can achieve either thru further equipment, set up, or improving their listening skills. IMHO you are still in the middle of the audio learning curve and have much to learn yourself. I'd be more charitable, and less self absorbed, in future posts lest folks start pointing out your frailties.
With all that said, and I didn't read all the threads, but the audio mags are in the same category. I have tried some of the mega dollar gear or auditioned it and I came away un-impressed with some of this gear. Some of it did sound as claimed. But there are allot of legitimate audiophile out there too.... Me, I'm just a cheapskate. I want 98% of the sound of that latest $10k cd player for under a grand. That works for me. Heck I would be happy with 95%. There are bargins out there in them there bins.
A prime example is Oppo. They have been blowing away CD and DVD players over $2,000 for a couple years now at realistic prices. And some gear out there is just plain hard to make it sound bad. Cables, Interconnects, and addressing various audio accessories can have an immediate effect on the sound of your system. For instance I borrowed some very expensive speaker cables. It was OK! I tried some very inexpensive Vampire Wire 12ga CCC hook up wire and it blew that expensive cable away in my system. I have had several of my audiophile friends listen to my system and they were impressed. But my cable was too inexpensive or (CHEAP) for them.
And last, the person's system you heard satisfies them. Maybe your hearing acurity is better than theirs. Just be careful how you tell them it doesn't float your boat. You may not get an invitation back. I'm sure you won't mind that! Nuff Said!
I am deeply humbled in the presence of such greatness. I am overwhelmed by the generosity of spirit in which these revelations have been shared with all of us! This dazzling display of superiority exposes the rest of us as just wailing infants who need our diapers changed, but of course are not worthy of the effort. I am deeply embarrassed and will have already destroyed my Audiophile membership card by the time most of you are reading this. I will be turning in my secret decoder ring to the proper authorities at the first possible opportunity. For now I'll just stand in the corner over there in silence and reflect on my inadequacies, while those who know better may laugh and mock me with righteous indignation. Thank you for this selfless contribution to my awakening!
My, goal in this Hobby, is to get as close as possible to the true sound of acoustic instruments, harmonizing together creating this sound scape, full of colors and emotions,
What makes a great singer is not a grate voice, But the projection of that voice,the ability to capture and manipulate peoples emotions, Eva Cassidy, was one of those few,
if a sound system is not able to do that to me when listening,is just ordinary,
the fist sing of an audiophile not been in tune, is the one,
looking for inner detail, and very detailed sound,
Live music is not detailed at all,
But warm, Rich, and organic, Do you think, the Director of an Orchestra, is listening for inner Details?
detailed sound is more often artificial and dry sound with very little projection,
I'm not trying to lecture anyone here, just voicing an Honest opinion:

Cheers: