VSA VR-4: problem with midrange drivers

I recently bought a pair of original VR-4's. They sounded great except when playing certain discs at higher volumes. Then I had some distortion from one or both mids. I am driving the top end with a 200 wpc B&K ex442, same for the bottom (bi-amped). Called VS and they were helpful, thought that the voice coils had probably been overheated at some time...I replaced them yesterday with the upgraded drivers.
Again, with certain discs I seem to be hearing some clipping at higher volumes...say about the 11:00 position on my AR LS3B pre. Sounds potentially like my amp is clipping.
Question is, if I use a lower powered amp on the top end ( I have a 100 wpc Aragon not currently in use) would that make any sense? I will also have the B&K checked out to see if there are any issues with it, but I'm concerned that sending 200 watts to the upper and 200 to the lower speaker modules is why I'm having the issue. The VR4's are rated at 250 wpc.
pjnad
Thanks,Al. I have rewired and am now in vertical bi-amping mode. I'm about to sit down and listen. So...if there is a problem with one of my amps ( the clipping previously noted) I should now only experience it from the channel that that amp is driving.
I guess that I'm hoping that if I still have that issue, it's an easier fix than anything else. It seems to me, that these speakers ( drivers ) should be able to handle the volume that I'm throwing at them. My pre is a Audio Research LS3b and again, the clipping/distortion occurs when I have the gain control up around the 11:00 position. My previous speakers were B&W 704's which were also biamped, and while they didn't sound entirely great at that volume, I never noticed a similar issue...
Paul
as for interconnects - you can run one IC to each amp and use a Y splitter at the amp, or you can use the Y splitter at the preamp (or if your pre has 2 outputs use those) and run 2 IC's to each amp. My IC's are long so I do the former using some good quality Audioquest splitters. I have my amps sitting next to my speakers so I can have short speaker cables

If you're brave, you can also open up your amp and solder a short jumper between the + terminals of the 2 RCA connectors, but then you need to be careful to remove it before you use the amp for stereo again. This may have an advantage technically over splitters and double IC's. This isn't something I was comfortable with though.

I'm not sure how loud the VR's will play and have never put a db meter on mine, but mine will play louder than I'm comfortable listening at . . . this I know.
So...after some listening I have determined that the culprit is one of my B&K amps. Having succesfully vertically biamped the speakers, using the amp that had originally been powering the mid/hi module, for the left channel...the clipping distortion was present in that left channel. The right channel, with the other amp, seems to be fine.
I have a friend here who will be taking a look at the amp to see what might be going on...
And, yes the vertical rather than horizontal biamping set-up gives me better seperation and perhaps a bit more clarity.