Which sub-help please

I can't decide between the Rel 150e that I used to own and I know it is easy to blend with the other speakers. I have changed fronts to full range speakers but prefer the midrange with a low powered amp. The other sub is the Velodyne spl8r which is tempting due to the room eq with microphone and remote-it sure looks good on paper.
Thanks, Ed
dred
(((If you want to really take the bass load off the main amp, then you have to look at bass management. I'm pretty sure the REL does not support BM internally. The SPL8R has a passive (I believe) first order high pass filter, but you'd probably prefer either an external BM controller or a sub that provides BM with higher order filters.)))
He is running a clean trube pre amp
What makes you think he would prefer a BM system which
would then have his pre amp going through a 50 Cent integrated circuit and lower input imp?
Cheers Johnnyr
Post removed 
JohnnyR,

As far as I'm concerned, the real question re: bass management is not what Dred's preamp is, but rather at what frequency he wants to cross the signal to his subs. The simple truth is that subs will (almost certainly) be better able to adddress destructive room effects in the octave or so cenetered around 80hz. This is easily (and dramatically) demonstrable with RTA - and we're not talking subtle here.

For best results (in the vast majority of rooms), these frequencies should be handled by the subwoofer(s), even if it means compromising the "purity" of a tube pre-amp. As Bob notes, this will usually require bass management, though your point about the generally poor quality of built-in bass management is taken.

Marty
(((You failed to mention that the Vandy's sub design essentially requires using two and that they neeed to be placed near the main speakers -- due to the first order low pass filter of the sub. Richard told me years ago to not bother buying a single 2Wq sub -- save up until I could buy a pair.))))

Bob This is True with any sub yes they are all better in pairs in a High performance Audio system.
The beauty with the Vandersteen 2WQ is they are flexible with set up and a more tranparent solution than anything thats been mentioned which again takes into consideration his tube pre amp by not loading it down IMP wise and BM ICs
or cheap OP amp wise instead using a more transparent time,phase correct simple High pass.
The 2WQ Subs are also designed to work in a corner if need be or wherever your favorite place may be because they have adjustable Q. by the way to the discerning ear all subs
sound best when near main speakers or near the same wall.
Cheers Johnnyr
Post removed