Small monitor- made in the states

I'm looking for a small speaker to go on a shelf- I expect to add a sub and drive it with something like the new Virtue Audio tripath or something similar.
I need a speaker less than 12" tall and something that will work not on a stand (for now) and would love something made by a person not in a large factory in Asia.
128x128wombat3
Thanks so much everyone for all the input.
I should've stated that I have a small budget to work with ($500 or so) and that used is always an option. I am very interested in the Silverlines and have had two (long) talks with Fritz.
I really hope that no one got the impression that I have anything against any foreign country or people- I just value talking to people and small industry etc : it's healthy to eat what is locally grown.
thanks again everybody!
If you're going to use a sub and tri-path amp,I have the same set-up with Tekton Design single driver speakers with 6.5 inch Fostex 167e speakers and am amazed at how loud and full they sound in that configuration, not to mention the excellent sonics. Since there is only one driver per side and front ported, I don't see why they couldn't work on a bookshelf, just turn them on their sides and they are well under 12 inches tall. They are superb speakers and very inexpensive, working well with every type of music I throw at them.