Did anybody else notice this about PSB Speakers?

I couldn't help noticing that 6 PSB speakers were selected in TAS's Editor's Choice issue this Fall and 4 were also selected as Stereophile Recommended Components. It's not like these two magazines like to agree about things very often. I am pretty sure no other vendor had 6 Editor's Choices in that issue for any sort of component.

One speaker selected only by Stereophile was the $5K PSB Synchrony One as Class A, Limited Extreme LF, right in there with a dozen or more very highly regarded $16K loudspeakers.

Also note that neither magazine has even reviewed PSB's new Platinum line, which is a cut above their Synchrony series and not really that much more expensive.

If I wanted a linear room-filling monster for a large area without breaking the bank, I'd have to look at a Synchrony One and a Platinum T8 tower. But let's not forget that their $279/pr Alpha B1 has owned the entry-level category for decades as well.

Thoughts? Feelings? Opinions?

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation w/PSB, nor do I own any, but I'm very impressed with them.
johnnyb53
A more neutral speaker lets the character of the music itself shine through more.

I think somebody used the wine drinking analogy. Do you want the glass to affect the taste of the wine, or should the taste of teh glass be neutral? Good one!
its more popular today to build loudspeakers to the sensibilities of a generation of 'aging' ears, then to build speakers that just 'play back'. they're nowhere near as much fun for an intial listen, but if you like 'all kinds of music', the one's that aspire to be fair with all frequencies (within their range) always win in the long haul. Its no coincidence that they also are generally easier to set up, to listen to for long periods, and not as fussy about 'tubes vs ss', speaker wire, and anything else thats upstream. that doesnt mean you won't hear differences...but you won't be in tears trying to match components either. PSB has hit paydirt with this line, and the cliche that you could spend many times more and get less is true here. There are a few others of course, but who would have ever thought these canadians would give the world a speaker that can pretty much run with' anything, 'against' anything with any record, or cd, you can throw at it. No speaker is for everyone(and I dig lots of speakers that are different from the psb for a variety of quirky reasons), but its pretty hard to find fault here, and compared to their price its beyond a good value.

Kal,

I’m willing to admit easily, I’ve not heard near the number of different speakers yourself or many heere likely have but noticing differences in the way the sound itself is conveyed isn’t too hard to do.

I was hasty in selecting the word ‘character’ without further defining it… though I feel it is quite different from the term, ‘colored or coloration’. IMHO character points to how the overall presentation is depicted, and colored/coloration indicates tones or notes of the instruments are changed from what they should have or could have been, during the original recital. As when a B flat becomes a B, or a B is then a B sharp.

Consequently, I’ve always felt coloration is not something one would want in a fine loudspeaker. Character however, might be. In as much as panels have one sort of personality or nature, and cone units have quite another disposition, though neither may be colored. All however then possess their own character.

Neutrality in my view should mean none of the bandwidth is promoted over any other portion of it by either addition or subtraction.

Transparency to me, says the sound is unadulterated or unchanged from it’s natural origins.

Certainly both terms being evidenced amount to the amalgamation of a better reproduction system.

For my uses neutrality of a loudspeaker weighs on more than a few parameters than it’s upstream compliment…. And neutrality becomes about as subjective as is the term transparency. Yet I’ll give more credence to a transparent speaker over a neutral one.

The character or spirit , if you will, of any speaker system then can be further defined by the sum of it’s parts, and of course, it’s voice and preview upon the sonic presentation. One system can be forceful and impacting, while another can be more reclined and well heeled. One more up front and intimate a perspective, and another a distant viewpoint in terms of the sound stage geography. . Even the type of materials used in the drivers & crossovers affect how the leading edges of notes are sometimes presented, by sharpening or rounding them up or off. However all of these systems can be uncolored if the tones being reproduced remain accurate and untainted.

A ribbon, a mylar , cloth, alloy, or even a metal tweeter can reproduce the same tones if properly designed, but somehow I can most often discern which is which, eventually if not immediately. Some tweeters regardless the type just sound better to me, as in the Esotar DynAudio produces.

Of course, if one considers any change whatsoever is accomplished to the original tones themselves by the speaker system, as colorations, your point is as valid in that context.

I pray I’ve made my use of the word ‘character’ transparent, and hope it wasn’t used inappropriately.

I’ll take your word on the business of ‘we aren’t there yet’ too. For my money, if and when that day comes, I’d bet it will be quite the thing. Until then I feel outside the requirements for power speakers demand, their voice or character is what equates to a better fit for one system over another if there is to be any interjection of ‘life’ into the presentation, and why I attribute character as a viable component for picking one loudspeaker system over another as your primary units.

To me, the soundstage proximity to the LP is as important a thing as is the articulation. Currently, I’m about spitting distance from the stage and would prefer a second row or third row seat, yet retain the impact and thrust of the music. This factor too contributes to a perception of a speakers personality.
Jim wrote: Of course, if one considers any change whatsoever is accomplished to the original tones themselves by the speaker system, as colorations, your point is as valid in that context.

I pray I’ve made my use of the word ‘character’ transparent, and hope it wasn’t used inappropriately.
OK. You have characterized (!) my position correctly. I don't agree with your definitions but, based on them, I can agree with your conclusions.

Kal
Bottom line: if you are listening and drawn in and do not want to stop listening, then ou are on the happy path, which is all that really matters.