Harbeth SHL5 vs 40.1

I currently own the Harbeth SHL5's and I'm considering upgrading to there 40.1's but I'm wondering how significant the improvement is based on the bucks that these speakers cost. Anyone have experience with these speakers? My Amp is a Cary 120s tube through a Cary SLP05 preamp.
markus1299
Wonder what happened to Markus' 40.1.

Extravaganza, it has got a lot to do with the amp. After comparing my Rega Elicit side-by-side with the Leben CS600 in driving the SHL5, the Rega was confirmed as a warm amp and slightly shut-in in the mids and highs. The Leben is transparent, revealing and much airier than the Rega from the midrange upwards but being a tube unit dynamics and bass slam are lacking. After listening to the Leben the Rega isn't as enjoyable anymore. Another excellent matching amp with Harbeth is the LFD Zero MkIII which is equally as transparent with tube-like mids and highs but with outstanding dynamics and bass slam to boot. Timbre and tonality of real instruments on the LFD are very good. I previously auditioned both units but on separate systems, so it is difficult to tell which amp is more transparent. Both the Leben and LFD have an added leanness in the mids which prove to work well with the warm Harbeth. I'll be doing a shoot-out between the Leben and LFD soon, and if the LFD can match(or better) the Leben in the mids and highs with equal transparency and openness, I'll need to revisit the LFD which has proven to be one of the best matching amps for the Harbeth.
Ryder

I was able to compare the leben the cs600 with the LFD on both C7es3 and the SHL5.
I will await your comments before i post mine observations but lets just say in the end, the Leben had to go. YMMV.
Yes I agree with you Ryder abaut amplifier.I find dynamics and bass of harbeth pretty good,involving,but to get that I need to turn up volume a little bit up normal listening levels,abaut 38db or between 10-11 o'clock.Especialy with rock music.There is no wonder why,because Harbeth's shl5 sensitivity is 86db.I think it is always the case with low sensitivity monitors.Get play them louder a little bit and they start to sing.
this I took from “The Absolute Sound”review(SHL5s have a certain
relaxation in the region between
2kHz and 4kHz, with a return to
level above that, whereas the M
series are essentially ruler-flat
across this region. This dip in the
region of maximum hearing
sensitivity tempers aggressive
recordings, and arguably makes the
speaker more agreeable over a
wider range of material, though I
personally prefer the M40's behavior
in this regard. I n any case, the dip
gives the SHL5's sound a certain
character in the treble.)This is what I am hearing and describing as shut in-or not so open treble.May be with LFD is diffrent.I don't know
Okay, Markus here,

Finally got the M40.1's up and running. Renovations in the sound room kept me from puttin the power to these speaks but tonight they are up and running.

These are a completely different animal than the SHL5's. So far, the only distinct similarity seems to be the great midrange that these Harbeths have.

I have about 3 hours on these and I'm still playing around with speaker placement and acoustic considerations so I will do a follow up as things come together.

What I'm noticing right off is that the highs are more pronounced and the bass is incredable. Also apparent is that these guys are going to need much more accoustic adjustments in my room than the 5's did. Soundstage and timbre are much more apparent than the 5's and the WAF isn't all that good with a larger speaker taking up more room but.. More to follow as I tune things in

Mark