Harbeth SHL5 vs 40.1

I currently own the Harbeth SHL5's and I'm considering upgrading to there 40.1's but I'm wondering how significant the improvement is based on the bucks that these speakers cost. Anyone have experience with these speakers? My Amp is a Cary 120s tube through a Cary SLP05 preamp.
markus1299
Markus, please let us know what you think about the differences. I had the SHL5 and someday may want to go to the 40's. I liked the treble of the SHL5's, wondering how the 40's compare in the highs, and also wondering how the 40's do bass. I ultimately moved away from the SHL5's because they could not handle heavy music at louder volumes.
Hello,
I am really interested in MarcusĀ“ comparison. I come from Germany and I am looking for a new speaker and I decided to hear the Harbeth too.
Which of the Harbeth is the best one (without the 40.1), SHL5, M30 or 7PS3?
I already tried Piega C8ltd., Dynaudio Sapphire, Audio Physics and these speakers are too technical for my ears.
Do You think, that Harbeth speakers match well with a Jeff Rowland Concentra II?

Regards from Germany
Littlehobbits,

Whilst waiting for Marcus' assessment on the SHL5 vs 40.1, I have listened to all 40.1, SHL5, C7ES3, M30 and P3ESR. The SHL5, C7ES3 and M30 were auditioned in one system while the 40.1 and P3ESR were listened to in another setup using different electronics.

If you find the mentioned speakers too analytical, detailed and are high resolution to your ears, I believe Harbeth would be an excellent choice. They have a fresh and natural sound, very low listening fatigue, slightly warm and yet transparent and revealing owing much to the Radial driver. As for which Harbeth speaker is the "best", my only input is to choose the one based on the listening space available. If the space is big I would say the 40.1 is the appropriate choice. The 40.1 gives a bigger sound and scale compared to the SHL5 with more depth and presence in the bass region, which doesn't come as a surprise given its bigger box enclosure and an additional 12" bass driver. Both have similarities in sonic signature. The C7ES3 is slightly more dynamic and upbeat than the SHL5 while the M30 is very smooth and little laidback(may be due to matching components) in comparison. The little P3ESR stunned me for its overall musicality and beguiling presentation given its small cabinet. One of my friends who own the 40.1 was so amazed by the P3ESR that he bought it for his 4th system.

No comment whether Harbeth would match with Jeff Rowland Concentra II but generally Harbeth would match well with most good amps and are easy to drive. The only caveat is Harbeth's bass does not possess the punch and drive in comparison to other speakers with exemplary bass performance like for instance the PMC EB1i or IB2. But then the PMC's require massive power amps with brute power to come alive unlike the easy load on the Harbeth which will work well with most flea-powered amps in the market.
Harbeths do sound warm after 1 month listening.But i find high frequecies sound not so open like in other speakers.They sound as they are restricted,it is fine if you listen Jazz music ,chamber etc.Try some pop music and it will be very apparent.
Heard extensively the Jeff Rowland Capri pre/power amp awhile back at dealer's place driving the Harbeths.
Power is definitely not an issue.
I do find the sound on the warm side of things which some people really like. I would have preferred a more neutral sounding amp with the Harbeths as the harbeths are warm to begin with. Nonetheless, different strokes for different folks. None bad at all!!