Zu or Harbeth

Hello Gentlemen,

I soon may be in the market for some new speakers. I currently have a pair of Vandersteen 3a's ( my "waterproof" digital camera got soaked, so I haven't updated my system photos for a while) and I really enjoy the sound. That said, I am sure there are better speakers out there.

The Harbeth 40.1 has been on the top of my list since the beginning, but lately I have been looking at the Zu Definitions and/or Presence. At this point in time I am only interested in speakers from these 2 companies for various reasons, esthetics being one of them.

I have read all the reviews for each of the speakers and would love to hear from anyone who owns/has owned these speakers.

My room is about 16'x25' with an a-frame ceiling with a 20'peak.
Also I have a Mcintosh MC 2500 beast of an amplifier, which I love, and have no plans on upgrading, not sure how this would mate with the Zu's.

I also plan on buying used.

Thank you in advance.
hanaleimike
Mike, seems like you're in a good position to be in!

Tvad, yes, that's the same Bob...he used to review for Positive Feedback, hence his speaker threads, and now since he has Amherst he writes music reviews instead.

I'd sure like to hear the AN-E's, in my room. From all the descriptions, they might really sing here, the Harbeth 7's I have now sure do. Oh, they're not the bees knees to the nth degree, but they're oh so much fun to listen to, and emotionally involving. I can definitely see why many who buy keep them and end their journey.
Hanalemkie & Tvad- I'm confused. Are you talking about Vandy 3A Sigs or Reference 3A Grand Vennas? If the Vandys, then I would just point out to Mike that those speakers punch well above their weight unless you are looking for pyrotechnics and.or live volumes. I would venture that the Harbeths are much closer to the presentation of the VAndys than the Zus are.
I actually have my Vandersteen 3a's ( not sigs ) with the pyrotechnics mod. brings the presentation a little more forward, and a lot warmer across the spectrum.