Tools to measure in room response

I've never measured the room SPL response.

Do I just need a Stereophile test CD3 and a Radioshack SPL meter?

Is that it?

Thanks and best regards,

K
kschiu
Post removed 
Bob_R
"..no laptop..."

Bob I suppose, one could borrow a girl friend's laptop or just 'a' friends, over the weekend or ask them to drop by for a couple hours and bring it along..

If one goes with a mic... any suggestions there?
== = = = = = = = = = =
Other’s
Do you need to afix some tube surrounding the mic.. or just how fancy does one need to get in this area. Won't a tri pod for the mic work just fine?

OK... so you get the software, mic/RS meter, Laptop, and take every measurement known to man and some as yet unknown perhaps... What then?

I can appreciate the input here and elsewhere as to attending to bass irregularities, and reflections, using traps and diffusers. What physical paraphernalia, apparatus, and so forth are used thereafter to attend to the frequency range above 200 - 300Hz??

Seems to me with the addition of physical structures, DIY stuff, etc. at best it’s a guessing game then, deciding which, what, where and how much of this or that.

Wouldn’t using electronic means to adjust for the anomalies be the best and shortest path to a positive solution in the acoustic treatment realm? As much as other’s seem to preclude such added componentry to the signal If one doesn’t want to clutter up the listening room with all these sonic attenuators & diffusers which are a non exacting process and far from one of simplicity, it would appear at least a more succinct and quite pertinent resolution for the majority of listeners… without looking into it too deeply.

Are these electronic EQ’s such poorly voiced or non transparent, devices, or so immensely over priced components, most audio nuts will shy away from them and pursue the haphazard mechanical avenue instead?

Or should the entire idea of using electronic equalization be revisited, surely, at some greater length?

BTW… just how musical is a ‘flat’ room anyways? Not owning one, nor knowingly having not been in one, I have to ask/wonder.
The Idea of flat is that you get all frequencys at the same sound level. That doesnt mean thats the way Music is recorded. I have a Mcintosh A2 it has a Fixed output pink/white noise or specific 1/3 octive test tones 20 to 20k

I use it to find the best speaker placement in my room and check for bass issue's. I do each speaker independant at 1 meter then do mono at my listening spot
Depending on your budget, I'd also check out the XTZ Room Analyzer "all-in-one-box" kit (www.xtz.se). It only runs on Windows (XP best), but is very easy to set up and use. Cost is ~$300 after shipping and customs fees.
There is no simple answer to the question about what one does with the measurement results. The first thing, of course, is to see if there is any correlation with your long-term subjective assessment of system problems. If so, then those need to be dealt with. How? Physical treatments (see www.realtraps.com for ideas) and physical setup.

Kal