Primaluna - Rolling pre tubes question...

I'm new to rolling tubes, and have been using the stock 12AU7.
I've a PL Prologue premium integrated with 2 12AU7's per channel. I want to test a new pair(before investing in more), so wondering if front or rear position would best reveal the new tubes character?

Thanks,
Darren
128x128dmhenley
+1 for what Newbee said .
If you received your amp with the stock power tubes , they are decent . They should be Shuguang EL-34's with reddish brown bases . You'll get as many different suggestions as replies for powertubes to try .
What do you wish to gain or change with your tube rolling ?

Happy Tunes
I agree with them as well the power tubes have a greater impact on the sound than the pre tubes. I answered thinking you were set on your power tubes.
In general I am quite fond of the Gold Lion tubes now available, but I leave to you to decide which you want to try.
Thanks so much for the responses - I appreciate it. Navigating the forums can be daunting...

I should have offered more detail first - I have already tried 3 sets of power tubes over the past year: the stock EL34s - I really dig their midrange texture. Out of curiosity, and, for my own education I picked up a set of GL KT77s last summer (from Upscale - currently posted for sale) - these are nice, but not quite what I wanted. I ultimately ended up with PSVANE 6CA7-Z treasures - these are fantastic.

Now that I have the power tubes, I was thinking about rolling the stock 12AU7's. I believe the Cifte will bring the touch of air I want - was thinking I'd pick up 2 and see what they do.
Well now that you do indeed have your power tubes of choice. What sound are you hoping to get from the small signal tubes. That will be a tremendous help.
Since you didn't like the Gold Lions which lean towards warmth I don't think that British tubes would be what you want, but you may want to balance out your Psvanes with them. Please provide more info. Otherwise if you simply want strong clean transparent sound German tubes (e.g. Telefunken ??Siemens not sure they made a 12AU7) may be the answer albeit expensive.
My all time favorite are early 60s, late 50s Amperex which I think do it all, but are being counterfeited and subbed allover for big $$. And don't fall for the low noise 7316 variant if it not made by Amperex,(and often labeled a computer company) these are truly special but people are calling anything they want a 7316. They must come from Heerlen Holland with the right triangle and ctl with a # in the acid etch . Otherwise just look for Amperex 12AU7s to make it simple all have the Philips seamed top. The real Amperex 12AU7s are expensive the 7316s even a bit more. Sif you wanted a cheap option this isn't it.
I have the Primaluna Dialogue Premium , basically the big brother of your Prologue Premium . I have settled on the same power tube , the Black Treasure 6CA7 .
If you can wait a while I have some Amperex 12AU7's and some
7316's that I will be rolling in a few days with the BT's .
I was also thinking of the Cifte's as well but don't have any to try .
A less expensive alternative to the Amperex with most of the same characteristics would be some BEL's . They are the same design but made in a different factory (India) and time period .
If you do try some Cifte's , I would be interested in your opinion on how they do with your BT's .

Good Luck